Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Halper 196 Part of a prayer-book, Blessing of the moon
TitlePart of a prayer-book, Blessing of the moon
Call numberHalper 196
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
14th century-16th century?
- Possibly the last folio from a prayer book, as the verso is empty, although the copy appears to have been interrupted in mid-sentence, which would indicate that this is a discarded draft; The recto contains the end of the text (five lines, in large square characters) of the Blessing of the New Moon, under the heading ברכת הלבנה. The fragment contains the end of this sequence, starting אלמלא לא זכו to אמר אביי הילכך מעומד (Talmud, Sanhedrin 42a); This is followed by eight lines in a Sephardic cursive hand with directions of actions prescribed during this blessing, and their Cabalistic significance.
- Condition: losses from center; verso is blank.
Extent16.4 X 10.6 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Moon , Religious aspects Judaism
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 196: Part of a prayer-book, Blessing of the moon are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.