Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Halper 322 Student's notebook
Call numberHalper 322
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
11th century-13th century?
- Some strophe endings denoted by a sof pasuḳ; A notebook of small pages. The inscription of the first five folios appears to be that of a beginning pupil, in irrregular square writing. The exercises include (fol. 1) an inscription of the title of Joseph ibn Abitur's Ḳedushta for Shavuot בחודש אשר אופד כיום הנערב. Remnants of this Ḳedushta are listed among Ḳedushtʾaot of ibn Abitur, by E. Fleischer: Yetsirato shel Yosef ibn Avitur, Doctoral Dissertation, Jerusalem, Hebrew University, 1968, p. 270-271; Deut. XXXIV 1 (fol. 2) Psalms III 7-9, followed by the signature שלמה בר נש יחיה לעד. (fol. 2 verso-3); Psalms IV (fols. 4-5). There are mistakes typical of a pupil copying from memory, yet he is not deterred from copying the Divine Name. This inscription ends in mid-sentence at the end of fol. 5; (fols. 6-7) In a different, more learned hand, a secular satirical poem against the writer's enemy. Starts הדרת אדם לבושו. Strophes vary in the amount of verses. Faulty orthography, the vocalization reflects the phonetic character found in the Yemenite dialect, in which a segol often replaces a ḳamats.
- Condition: consecutive, complete; 1r, 8r-v are blank.
Extent8.8 X 6.6 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Hebrew language , Composition and exercises , Early works to 1800
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 322: Student's notebook are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.