Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Halper 325 Laudatory poem for Śimḥah and Netanʹel, sons of Mesabar
TitleLaudatory poem for Śimḥah and Netanʹel, sons of Mesabar
- Yeshuʹah ben Dunash ben Mosheh, 12th cent.
Call numberHalper 325
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
- Each strophe begins a new line; verse endings denoted by a sof pasuḳ, strophe endings by a circle and sof pasuḳ; Hemistychs in Wafir meter with final rhyme in תם-; The fragment, sporadically vocalized, includes the last 12 strophes of a laudatory poem for two brothers, Śimḥah and Netanʹel, sons of Mesabar (as mentioned in the second to last verse), who have made a substantial donation (as mentioned in the fourth verse from the end). Ends מוסבר צור והאחים שלשתם; Simḥah ben Musaffar (מסאפר) is signed on a legal document dated 1029, in Oxford Bodleian Heb. a.3 (Cowely 2873) fol. 37; At the end of the poem, in smaller writing, there appear two inscriptions, next to each other, both sharing two lines. The first, in semi-square, reads:ר׳ נת[נאל] ור׳ שמחה / ומ׳ יצחק ז״ל. The second, in semi-cursive, reads: מן בעץׄ מא קאל ישועה בן דנש בן משה אב בית דין פי אלאכ׳וא / אל [.... ..ל.....]מא ואדאם חראסתהמא. Halper interprets אלאכ׳וא as [אלאכוא[ן.
- Condition: torn, loss in upper edge; faded; verso is blank.
Extent20 X 18.5 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Laudatory poetry, Hebrew
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 325: Laudatory poem for Śimḥah and Netanʹel, sons of Mesabar are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.