Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Halper 345 Court document
Call numberHalper 345
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
- A court document in Judeo-Arabic. The witnesses, Abu'l Munajja ha-kohen ben Abu'l Wafa and Abu'l Hassan ben Abul'Wa.hash testify that Abu Sahl ha-Levi ben Joseph has paid the sum that was to be added for the partnership between Abu'l Hassan and Abu Natsr ben Khalf; The first autograph signature is that of Hillel ben Tsadok the Av Bet Din, the second is torn and illegible, only the title הח]בר] is extant. In Oxford Bodleian Heb. d. 66 (Cowely 2878) fol. 76, the same R. Hillel co-signs with Mevorakh ben Nathan ha-haver, the clerk and scribe in the court of Fustat between 1150-1181 (below 346, see also Mann, The Jews of Egypt vol. II p. 293; Goitein, A Mediterranean Society, vol. V p. 358); In a letter dated 1153, Samuel ha-nagid refers to our Hillel (or his father) as the Av Bet Din 'of all of Israel'in Cambridge T-S 13J 18 fol. 25 (Mann, ibid. p. 287), yet in terms of documentation, he is relatively obscure; On the verso, in a different, more cursive hand, is a list in Judeo-Arabic of items in the dowry of Sitt al-Ruat towards her marriage to Mevorakh ben Abu ʹAli.
- Condition: nearly complete; damaged, faded, losses.
Extent15.3 X 13 cm
Material applied: black ink
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Court records
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 345: Court document are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.