Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Halper 385 Business letter to Nahrai ben Nissim
TitleBusiness letter to Nahrai ben Nissim
- Mardukh ben Musi.1025-1097
Call numberHalper 385
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
21 July, 1046
- Signature and address appear in 3 lines at bottom of verso; A hastily written letter, about a shipment of sacks, and difficulty in selling cotton; The addressee is the recipient of hundreds of Genizah letters, analyzed in the doctoral dissertation of Murad A. Michael: Arkiyono shel Nehorai ben Nissim, baʹal ʹasaḳim be-Mitsrayim be-meʹah ha-aḥat ʹeśreh [The archives of Ben Nissim, a businessman in 11th century Egypt], Jerusalem 1963. Another letter from the same Marduk to Nissim is found below no. 390; The writing here is more cursive. Letters from Marduk ben Moses were collected by Gil, ibid. nos. 526-541, pp. 757-805, all but two of these are addressed to Nahray.
- Condition: complete; folded in mail format; marginalia on recto.
Extent13.5 X 17 cm
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Commercial correspondence, Judeo-Arabic
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 385: Business letter to Nahrai ben Nissim are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.