Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Halper 386 Letter
Call numberHalper 386
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
11th century-12th century?
- A long letter to a close friend, in florid Hebrew, decorated with many biblical phrases. The names of the writer and addressee are presumably in the missing bottom edge of the verso; At the end of the letter, the author sends regards to the sons of the addressee Natsr and Saʹid. A Judge Nissim is mentioned, who rebukes the author daily for remaining unmarried; The writer explains why he has remained in place. Much of the content deals with a certain notable Ḥaver who was offered to serve as a a judge and a teacher in Alexandria.
- Condition: losses from bottom and edges; folded in mail format; some interlinear addenda.
Extent25.5 X 15.7 cm
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Hebrew letters
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 386: Letter are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.