Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Halper 398 Letter to Abu Zikhri ben Abu'l-Faraj, Fustat and Qalyub
TitleLetter to Abu Zikhri ben Abu'l-Faraj, Fustat and Qalyub
- Abu Mantsur.13th cent.
Call numberHalper 398
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
- Verso contains address, in Arabic characters; The addressee may be identified as the son of the judge Elijah ben Zechariah (related to Genizah documents dated between 1222-1236, see above 358, and in the list of judges assembled by S.D. Goitein, A Mediterranean Society, vol. II Appendix D, no. 29); See Goitein, ibid. vol. II p. 380. Documents relating to Elijah were collected by Aryeh Leo Motzkin, Revue des études juives, v. 128 (1969), p. 339-348; A letter from a relative, perhaps his brother in law, or paternal cousin, dealing with various matters, such as debts to the tax collectors (l. 17). The writer complains that the addressee has been absent too long from his wife and mother. The date, added to the last line, is the 30th of the 'Omer (15 Iyar), but no year is provided.
- Condition: nearly complete, torn, faded; folded in mail format.
Extent15.8 X 12.7 cm
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Tax collection , History , To 1500 , Egypt
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 398: Letter to Abu Zikhri ben Abu'l-Faraj, Fustat and Qalyub are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.