Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Halper 454 Classified List of remedies
TitleClassified List of remedies
Call numberHalper 454
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
11th century-13th century?
- Number of lines varies according to content; text breaks in fols. 1-3 denoted by three puncti; 1r remedies extracted from dogs, from foxes, in Hebrew, starting סגולות השועל; 1v remedies extracted from ducks. in Hebrew; 2r two paragraphs of cures, in Judeo-Arabic; 2v record of words, maybe a magical chant, in Aramaic; 3r instructions in Judeo-Arabic for the preparation of different remedies, followed by Hebrew instructions for the preparation of an amulet, engraved into a heart; 4r in a different hand; contains instructions in Hebrew for preparing parchment for a Torah Scroll. Headed: עיבוד גויל של ספר תורה מן מעשה. The term מעשה usually infers a unit of transmitted practical Halakhah, most common among the literature of the Erets Israeli tradition. This too is not written as a Halakhic monograph, but rather as a recipe, in second person format:תקח עפץ. This is a complete, distinct essay, ending towards bottom of recto: תם תם; 4v (in the same hand as recto) contains the same, in Judeo-Arabic. The heading: הדא עמל אלריק.
- Condition: fol. 1 damaged, losses from top bottom edges; fols. 2-4 nearly complete; stained, faded.
Extent16.4 X 12.4 cm
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Medicine , to 1800 , Formulae, receipts, prescriptions, early works to 1800
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 454: Classified List of remedies are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.