Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Halper 460 Memorial lists of Jewish leaders in Erets Israel and Fustat
TitleMemorial lists of Jewish leaders in Erets Israel and Fustat
Call numberHalper 460
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
- Contains five lists. 1. ll. 1-16: The Gaonim of the Yeshivah in Jerusalem (and later in exile), from 1046 to about 1138, that is the dynasty from Solomon ha-Kohen to Matsliaḥ ha-Kohen; 2. l. 17 - l. 9: The Gaonim of the Yeshivah in Fustat; 3. l. 10 - l. 10: The Dynasty of Nagidim of Egypt. The first legible name in this line is that of Mevorakh ben Sa'adia (1094-1111). The list ends with Nethaniel, who served immediately before Maimonides. See Mann: The The Jews in Egypt and in Palestine under the Fāṭimid caliphs / Jacob Mann. London : Oxford Univ. Press, 1920, v. 2, p. 249-250; M. Cohen: Jewish self-government in medieval Egypt : the origins of the office of head of the Jews, ca. 1065-1126 / Marc R. Cohen. Princeton : Princeton University Press, 1980, p.132-156; 4. ll. 11-20: The list of a family of ha-Khamim. Mostly illegible; 5. l. 21- 11: Leaders of the Fustat community; concluded with a prayer for the Community, of which one line is extant.
- Condition: losses in upper corners, faded, mostly illegible; conservation along seam and edges.
Extent21.9 X 20.6 cm
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Geonim , Registers
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 460: Memorial lists of Jewish leaders in Erets Israel and Fustat are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.