Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Halper 465 List of Jewish names
TitleList of Jewish names
Call numberHalper 465
(Philadelphia, United States, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Cairo Genizah Collection)
PublisherCenter for Advanced Judaic Studies Library
late 11th century
- Halper: "Written in [...] Hebrew character [...], but the orthography is Arabic". The lower part of a list of names, some of which bear surnames indicating their place of origin, including Baghdad, Amid (in Iraq), Aleppo, Damascus, Tiberias, 'Azza, Sicily, or indicating their profession, including porter, packer, night watchman, dyer, soap maker, mosaic craftsman. The verso contains a secondary inscription, 7 lines in Arabic characters; Much of the contents of the list were described by Goitein, Mediterranean Society, vol 2, appendix B no. 106 (pp. 466-467). He presumed that this was the list of persons for whom the poll tax was to be paid. Each name ends with a line extended to the end of the column, possibly signifying that it has been paid.
- Condition: fragment, torn along all sides except bottom.
Extent12.7 X 19 cm
- Cairo Genizah Collection (University of Pennsylvania. Center for Advanced Judaic Studies. Library).
- Cairo Genizah Collection (Dropsie College. Library).
- Poll tax , Lists
- These images and the content of Center for Advanced Judaic Studies Library, Halper 465: List of Jewish names are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.