Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
CAJS Rar Ms 466 Marriage contract
Other related names
- Dayan, Yitsḥaḳ, witness
- Einhorn, Yizhak, former owner
- Moussaieff, Shlomo, former owner
Call numberCAJS Rar Ms 466
(420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19106-3703, University of Pennsylvania, Library at the Herbert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies)
- bibid: 9977250637403681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageAramaic and Hebrew
- 5623 (1862)
Manuscript ketubah with standard ketubah text in black ink in Aramaic and Hebrew in Sephardic semi-cursive script. Leaf sides have straight edges save for the top which is tapered, with verses from Scripture in block Hebrew print, colored with gouache by a later hand, surrounding the ketubah text: Proverbs (18:22) straight across the top; Ruth (4:11) extends from tapered top to left column; abridged verse from Ecclesiastes (9:9) in right column with abridged verse from Genesis (49:22) extending to tapered top. Wedding took place on 6 Tishre 5623 (30 Sept. 1862), in Aleppo, Syria. With the unusual presence of only one witness signature.
- The wedding took place on the Third day [Tues.] of the week, 6th of Tishre, 5623 [30 Sept. 1862] in the city of Tsovah [Aleppo]. The groom is Avraham b.k.r. ... k. ha-R. Yosef ʻAbadi. The bride is Mazal t.m. bat k.m. ha-R. Shelomoh Neḥmad. Witness: ha-tsaʻir Yitsḥaḳ Dayan, S.ṭ.
- Color added to manuscript after 2009, during or after its time in the collection of Yizhak Einhorn.
Extent1 leaf : 52.1 X 25.5 cm
- Formerly owned by Yizhak Einhorn, Tel Aviv (National Library of Israel digital facsimile, einhorn124).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, from the estate of Shlomo Moussaieff, 20 Dec. 2017, lot 112.
- Avraham ben Yosef ʻAbadi--Marriage
- Mazal bat Shelomoh Neḥmad--Marriage
- Prenuptial agreements (Jewish law)--Specimens
- Marriage (Jewish law)
- Aleppo (Syria)
- Marriage certificates
- Manuscripts, Hebrew--19th century
- These images and the content of Library at the Herbert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies CAJS Rar Ms 466: Marriage contract are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.