Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
CAJS Rar Ms 473 Marriage contract
Other related names
- Naḥum, Binyamin, witness
- Ḳaṭan, Bekhor Yitsḥaḳ, signer
- Tatikian, G, printer
- Moussaieff, Shlomo, former owner
Call numberCAJS Rar Ms 473
(420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19106-3703, University of Pennsylvania, Library at the Herbert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies)
- bibid: 9977254850203681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageTurkish, Aramaic, and Hebrew
- 5692 (1931)
Printed ketubah form in golden ink with manuscript standard ketubah text in black ink in Aramaic and Hebrew in Sephardic semi-cursive script. Decorative columns and illustrations with verses from Scripture and words of blessing in Hebrew in square letters above ketubah text. Blanks with Turkish labels completed with ms. Turkish names (Menahem Kohen, Luna) and dates (29/11/931) in the middle left of the form, with the oval stamp of Kolelot Yehude Izmir. At top right of form is round stamp of Bet Din Tsedeḳ Y.B. Ts., Izmir, with ms. notation signed by Bekhor Yitsḥaḳ Ḳaṭan. Wedding took place on the night of 20 Kisleṿ 5692 (29 Nov. 1931), in Izmir, Turkey. Groom's signature (first name only) in roman script between witness signatures. Form printed by G. Tatikian, Izmir, Turkey, with ms. enumeration No. 471.
- The wedding took place on the Second day [Sun. night] of the week, 20th day of the month of Kisleṿ in the year 5692 [29 Nov. 1931] in the city of Izmir. The groom is Menaḥem ha-Kohen, called Bekhor, H.y.ṿ., ben k. ha-R. Shimʻon ha-Kohen, n. ʻE. The bride is Luna bat k. ha-R. Shabtai Mizraḥi, H.y.ṿ. Witnesses: Bekhor Yosif [?]; Binyamin Naḥum.
- Foxing. Light stains with no loss of text.
Extent1 leaf : 61.7 X 46.4 cm
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, from the estate of Shlomo Moussaieff, 20 Dec. 2017, lot 112.
- Kohen, Menahem ben Shimʻon--Marriage
- Luna bat Shabtai Mizraḥi--Marriage
- Prenuptial agreements (Jewish law)--Specimens
- Marriage (Jewish law)
- İzmir (Turkey)
- Marriage certificates
- Blank forms
- Manuscripts, Hebrew--20th century
- These images and the content of Library at the Herbert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies CAJS Rar Ms 473: Marriage contract are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.