Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
CAJS Rar Ms 495 Hilkhot sheḥitah bediḳah u-ṭerefot. / הלכות שחיטה [בדיקה וטרפות]
TitleHilkhot sheḥitah bediḳah u-ṭerefot.
הלכות שחיטה [בדיקה וטרפות]
- Milhaud, Mosheh de
- Moldovan Family Judaica Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
Other related names
- Monteles, Avraham de, former owner
- Moldovan, Joseph, donor
- Moldovan, Susan, donor
Call numberCAJS Rar Ms 495
(420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19106-3703, University of Pennsylvania, Library at the Herbert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies)
- bibid: 9977523745903681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
This is a manuscript of learning concentrated in the laws of sheḥitah (kosher ritual slaughter), bediḳah (the subsequent inspection of deformities), and ṭerefot (permitted and prohibited deformities for slaughtered animals). The purpose of the manuscript may have been a gift in honor of a completion of a semikhah for ritual slaughter, and the colophon suggests that the manuscript was a commissioned project. Notable rulings include that a drunkard (ha-shikor) should not perform shehitah, even if he has not reached the drunkenness level of Lot (f. 5r); this is the Ashkenazic ruling, here preferred by a teacher in Provence with ostensibly Sefardic customs (see R. Mosheh Isserles, ha-Mapah, commentary to Shulḥan ʻarukh Yoreh deʻah 1:8, who rules this way; R. Joseph Karo rules that a semi-drunk may slaughter). Another is that one may not perform shehitah over a moat (guma) because it is "the custom of heretics" (apiḳorsim; f. 5v); this is a variant of the Talmud Bavli, Ḥulin 41b, which records that being the custom of the Sadducees. Another instance where the writer supports the Ashkenazic ruling against the Sefardim is about the process of finding animals kosher despite certain types of lung adhesions (sirkhot) that do not puncture the lining of the lung, which R. Joseph Karo rules is "feeding ṭerefot to (the people of) Israel...", see ibid., 39:10, and R. Mosheh Isserles' note to ibid., 39:13 permitting it), because "it is the animal of a Jew, and the loss is great... ("hefsed merubah," f. 15v). With later emendations written by R. Abraham de Monteles in his hand, approximately 1800.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from first heading and headings later on in the manuscript (f. 1r; 10r).
Extent19 leaves : 220 x 140 (160 x 100) mm bound to 225 x 155 mm
CollationPaper, i + 19 + i; 1⁷ (+7) 2-3⁶, 1 leaf; modern foliation in pencil, lower left recto, 1-19.
BindingLimp parchment wrappers, likely original.
- Formerly owned by Avraham de Monteles (signature, f. i recto); this may have been a relative of the wider de Monteles family, who were authors of other halakhic texts, such as R. Joseph b. Avraham de Monteles (17th century?), who authored Orḥot ḥayim, a ḳitsur based on the Shulḥan ʻarukh oraḥ ḥayim, preserved in Ets Haim Library Amsterdam Netherlands 47 E 31. This owner inscribes local minhagim and his emendations to the text in multiple places, approximately 1800.
- Presented to The Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joseph and Susan Moldovan (C'76).
- Jews--Dietary laws
- Jews--France--L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue--18th century
- Comtat Venaissin (France)--History--18th century--Sources
- Codices (bound manuscripts)
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Library at the Herbert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies CAJS Rar Ms 495: Hilkhot sheḥitah bediḳah u-ṭerefot. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
10305_0001.tif (94.1 MB)
10305_0001_thumb.jpg (4.0 KB)
10305_0001_web.jpg (272.4 KB)
Flyleaf 1 recto
10305_0002.tif (94.1 MB)
10305_0002_thumb.jpg (4.1 KB)
10305_0002_web.jpg (298.9 KB)
Flyleaf 1 verso
10305_0003.tif (94.1 MB)
10305_0003_thumb.jpg (3.6 KB)
10305_0003_web.jpg (271.9 KB)
Flyleaf 1 recto
10305_0042.tif (94.1 MB)
10305_0042_thumb.jpg (3.3 KB)
10305_0042_web.jpg (260.8 KB)
Flyleaf 1 verso
10305_0043.tif (94.1 MB)
10305_0043_thumb.jpg (4.0 KB)
10305_0043_web.jpg (297.3 KB)
Inside back cover
10305_0044.tif (94.1 MB)
10305_0044_thumb.jpg (3.9 KB)
10305_0044_web.jpg (262.3 KB)