Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 700 Item 105 Reglas más comunes del arte del idioma zapoteco del Valle
TitleReglas más comunes del arte del idioma zapoteco del Valle
- Levanto, Leonardo
Other related names
- Berendt, C. Hermann 1817-1878, former owner
- Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899, former owner
Call numberMs. Coll. 700 Item 105
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9925823243503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageSpanish and Zapotec
C. Hermann Berendt's transcription, in a notebook of lined paper, from 2 different works on the Zapotec language spoken in the Valley (Valle) of Oaxaca, in southern Mexico, including a grammar, vocabulary lists, and texts. Berendt's supplied title on the title page alludes to the source for parts 1-5, which are excerpts copied from an anonymous manuscript of a total 288 leaves, written in 1793, in San Martin Tilcajete (Tilcaxete, Filcaxete), a town in Oaxaca. For a Zapotec vocabulary copied by Berendt from the same manuscript, see Ms. Coll. 700, Item 216; in a draft copyist's note for the latter item, he gives the manuscript's full title: Quaderno de ydioma zapoteco del Valle, que contiene algunas reglas las más comunes del arte, un vocabulario algo copioso, un confessionario, y otras cosas que veera el Christiano lector. Berendt's second source, the basis for the Zapotec texts of prayers of Catholic doctrine presented in part 6, is Leonardo Levanto's Cathecismo de la doctrina christiana, en lengua zaapoteca, published in 1776. For Berendt's transcription of Levanto's work in its entirety, see Ms. Coll. 700, Item 104. Part 1 is a grammar of Zapotec including a preface that discusses pronunciation (p. 1-3). In Part 2, an initial Spanish-Zapotec vocabulary list of common nouns in general is followed by lists specifically for parts of the body (p. 63), names of animals (p. 68); names of trees and plants (p. 74); male and female proper names (p. 78); and numbers (p. 79). Part 3 is a Spanish-Zapotec manual for the Catholic sacrament of confession that appears to consist of a continuous model dialogue between confessor and penitent, with headings noted in the margins for the second (p. 86) through eighth (p. 102) commandments, followed by a final section devoted to language in which the confessor provides instruction and absolution (p. 102-112). Part 4 is evidently a Spanish-Zapotec model dialogue between priest and congregant for the profession of faith during the sacrament of viaticum, or last rites. Part 5, similarly, provides model Spanish-Zapotec exchanges during the ceremony of the sacrament of marriage. In part 6, the extract from Levanto's work, Berendt includes the author's preface (p. 123-124) and 13 prayers. Whereas Levanto provides only the Zapotec, Berendt's texts are arranged in 2 columns, for Spanish and Zapotec, respectively. Berendt provides the Spanish version only for some of the prayers (the Sign of the cross, the Lord's prayer, the Ave Maria, the Salve Regina, the Apostles' creed, and the Commandments of the Church), while for the others that column is left blank. Berendt's annotations (p. 137, 141) to the Articles of faith and the Ten commandments make reference to Pedro de Feria's Doctrina christiana (for Berendt's transcription of that work, see Ms. Coll. 700, Item 102). Three leaves are laid in: 1. a leaf with 2 alternate versions of the manuscript's title, and an incomplete draft of a copyist note (Advertencia), in which Berendt had evidently intended to clarify his sources (there is no such note in the manuscript proper); 2. notes concerning prepositions, presumably in Zapotec, with drawings on the verso, of a row of houses and related floor plans; and 3. notes on Zapotec words that make reference to Feria and Levanto.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (p. v).
Extent81 leaves : 207 x 173 (170-180 x 125-130) mm. bound to 212 x 176 mm
FoliationPaper, fol. i (paper endleaf) + 81 + i (paper endleaf); [i-iv (blank), v-viii, 1], 2-35, , 37-124, , 126-128, , 130-148, [vi (blank)]; pagination in ink, upper center.
BindingContemporary green notebook with embossed design on covers and gilt-edged pages; spine covering partially detached, with fragments wanting and spine exposed; front cover nearly detached.
- Parts 1-5 copied by C. Hermann Berendt from an anonymous manuscript, Quaderno de ydioma zapoteco del Valle (San Martin Filcaxete y Juno. 22 de 1793), at that time in his possession (see his bibliography on the Zapotec language in Ms. Coll. 700 Item 106, p. 29) and today held at the Royal Ontario Museum Library.
- From the collection of C. Hermann Berendt, later acquired by Daniel Garrison Brinton (ex libris stamp on title page and the facing page).
- Catholic Church--Doctrines--Early works to 1800
- Confession--Catholic Church--Handbooks, manuals, etc.--Early works to 1800
- Sacraments--Catholic Church--Early works to 1800
- Zapotec language--Grammar
- Zapotec language--Pronunciation
- Zapotec language--Glossaries, vocabularies, etc
- Zapotec language--Texts
- Indians of Mexico--Languages--Early works to 1800
- Grammars (instructional materials)
- Translations (documents)
- Manuscripts, Spanish--19th century
- Manuscripts, Mexican--19th century
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library Ms. Coll. 700 Item 105: Reglas más comunes del arte del idioma zapoteco del Valle are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
7089_0001.tif (33.7 MB)
7089_0001_thumb.jpg (4.1 KB)
7089_0001_web.jpg (317.3 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 1
7089_0013.tif (33.7 MB)
7089_0013_thumb.jpg (3.9 KB)
7089_0013_web.jpg (252.3 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 2
7089_0014.tif (33.7 MB)
7089_0014_thumb.jpg (3.1 KB)
7089_0014_web.jpg (214.6 KB)
Loose note 2, Side 1
7089_0037.tif (33.7 MB)
7089_0037_thumb.jpg (3.7 KB)
7089_0037_web.jpg (213.4 KB)
Loose note 2, Side 2
7089_0038.tif (33.7 MB)
7089_0038_thumb.jpg (4.2 KB)
7089_0038_web.jpg (251.7 KB)
Loose note 3, Side 1
7089_0079.tif (33.7 MB)
7089_0079_thumb.jpg (3.4 KB)
7089_0079_web.jpg (200.3 KB)
Loose note 3, Side 2
7089_0080.tif (33.7 MB)
7089_0080_thumb.jpg (2.8 KB)
7089_0080_web.jpg (168.3 KB)