Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 700 Item 60 Noticias de varias plantas y sus virtudes /
TitleNoticias de varias plantas y sus virtudes /
- Dondé Ibarra, Joaquín, 1827-1875
Other related names
- Berendt, C. Hermann 1817-1878, former owner
- Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899, former owner
Call numberMs. Coll. 700 Item 60
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9925715113503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageSpanish, with some Maya terms
Handwritten copy of a manuscript by an unidentified author, which C. Hermann Berendt judged to have been written at the beginning of the 19th century (f. 1v). If the attribution of the text to Joaquin Dondé Ibarra, as suggested by William E. Gates (1924), is accepted, the original text would presumably have dated, instead, to around 1850 (as stated by Weeks). The text briefly describes 140 plants and herbs native to the Yucatán province of Mexico, including their medicinal uses. At back (p. 26-29) is a listing of all the plant names mentioned in the notebook, in roughly alphabetical order.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (f. 1r).
Extent16 leaves : 170 x 101 (152 x 99) mm. bound to 175 x 108 mm
FoliationPaper, ii (newer paper) + 16 + vi + xv (newer paper) leaves; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners: [ii], , 2-29.
BindingContemporary soft-covered notebook of lined paper (upper cover detached) bound into late 19th-century half-leather notebook of unlined paper, with upper cover almost detached.
- Copied by C. Hermann Berendt from a manuscript owned by Pedro de Regil y Peón of Mérida, Mexico, a nephew of Juan Pío Pérez.
- From the collection of C. Hermann Berendt, later acquired by Daniel Garrison Brinton (ex libris stamp on verso of title page).
- Medicinal plants--Mexico--Yucatán (State)
- Materia medica, Vegetable--Mexico--Yucatán (State)
- Herbs--Therapeutic use--Mexico--Yucatán (State)
- Indians of Mexico--Languages
- Manuscripts, Spanish--19th century
- Manuscripts, Mexican--19th century
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library Ms. Coll. 700 Item 60: Noticias de varias plantas y sus virtudes / are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
7282_0001.tif (32.6 MB)
7282_0001_thumb.jpg (5.7 KB)
7282_0001_web.jpg (306.6 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 1
7282_0003.tif (27.2 MB)
7282_0003_thumb.jpg (3.4 KB)
7282_0003_web.jpg (237.0 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 2
7282_0004.tif (27.2 MB)
7282_0004_thumb.jpg (3.0 KB)
7282_0004_web.jpg (230.9 KB)