Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 700 Item 61 Diccionario pocomchi-castellano y castellano-pocomchi de S. Cristobal Cahcoh
TitleDiccionario pocomchi-castellano y castellano-pocomchi de S. Cristobal Cahcoh
Other related names
- Berendt, C. Hermann 1817-1878, former owner
- Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899, former owner
Call numberMs. Coll. 700 Item 61
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9938744613503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageSpanish and Pokonchi
Written in Guatemala in the 16th century (Brinton).
A 19th-century rebinding of fragments from a 16th-century dictionary and vocabulary for Pokonchi and Spanish.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from Berendt's 19th-century title page (f. 5r).
- Berendt suggests in his notes that the author may have been Padre Fray Francisco (or Franco?) de Viana, who was in Verapaz between 1575 and 1608 (ff. 3v-4r of the pages laid in); a photostatic copy of a manuscript at Tulane University with the same title is attributed to Dionisio de Zuniga (Weeks).
- Many of the pages have been repaired; the first and last several pages remain fragile.
- The four leaves laid in at the end of the work include Berendt's rough draft of the table of contents bound in at the front of the volume and his notes about the manuscript.
Extent166 leaves (with 4 leaves laid in) : 295 x 206 (261 x 172) mm. and 305 x 208 (267 x 175) bound to 319 x 238 mm
FoliationPaper, 166; 8 (19th-century paper) + 9-79 + 80-87 (19th-century paper) + 88- + [163-166] (19th-century paper) + 4 leaves laid in; modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto.
BindingLate 19th-century half leather.
- Gift to C. Hermann Berendt from D. Luis Rojas of S. Cristobal, Chiapas, a former Dominican friar and parish priest of San Cristobal Cahcoh, in 1875 (f. 5r).
- From the collection of C. Hermann Berendt, later acquired by Daniel Garrison Brinton (ex libris stamp on title page).
- Pokonchi language--Dictionaries--Spanish
- Spanish language--Dictionaries--Pokonchi
- Pokonchi language--Glossaries, vocabularies, etc
- Mayan languages--Glossaries, vocabularies, etc.--Early works to 1800
- Indians of Central America--Guatemala--Languages--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Spanish--16th century
- Manuscripts, Latin American
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library Ms. Coll. 700 Item 61: Diccionario pocomchi-castellano y castellano-pocomchi de S. Cristobal Cahcoh are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
7285_0001.tif (55.7 MB)
7285_0001_thumb.jpg (7.8 KB)
7285_0001_web.jpg (703.8 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 1
7285_0173.tif (13.0 MB)
7285_0173_thumb.jpg (4.4 KB)
7285_0173_web.jpg (246.8 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 2
7285_0174.tif (13.0 MB)
7285_0174_thumb.jpg (3.2 KB)
7285_0174_web.jpg (231.2 KB)