Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Coll. 700 Item 8 Arte de lengua maya
TitleArte de lengua maya
- San Buenaventura, Gabriel de, fl. 1684
Other related names
- Berendt, C. Hermann 1817-1878, former owner
- Brinton, Daniel Garrison, 1837-1899, former owner
Call numberMs. Coll. 700 Item 8
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9941348333503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageSpanish and Maya
C. Hermann Berendt's fair manuscript copy of Gabriel de San Buenaventura's 1684 grammar of the Maya language, the first printed Maya grammar, including a facsimile title page and the front matter in Spanish. Berendt also compiled an index to the grammar (p. 159-163).
- Ms. codex.
- Title from facsimile title page (p. ).
Extent83 leaves : 190 x 127 mm. bound to 197 x 136 mm
FoliationPaper, 83; [ii, 1-3], 4-143, 145-146, 148-163, [164, ii]; page numbers in ink, upper outer corners. The omission of 144 and 147 is an error in pagination; this record refers to pagination as it appears in the manuscript.
BindingLate 19th-century leather with minimal gold tooling; spine has Buenaventura, Ms., and a B at the tail of the spine for Berendt in gilt.
- From the collection of C. Hermann Berendt, later acquired by Daniel Garrison Brinton (ex libris stamp on title page).
- Maya language--Grammar
- Mayan languages--Grammar--Early works to 1800
- Indians of Mexico--Languages--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Mexican--19th century
- Manuscripts, Spanish--19th century
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library Ms. Coll. 700 Item 8: Arte de lengua maya are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
7296_0001.tif (16.3 MB)
7296_0001_thumb.jpg (3.6 KB)
7296_0001_web.jpg (216.3 KB)