Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Oversize Ms. Codex 1098 Documents of the town of Châtenois
TitleDocuments of the town of Châtenois
Call numberOversize Ms. Codex 1098
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9942495453503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageGerman, with some French on two leaves (f. 153-154)
Kestenholtz i.e. Châtenois, France
Book of documents (Copialbuch; Urkundenbuch) of the town of Châtenois (German, Kestenholz), in the département of Bas-Rhin, region of Alsace, France. At the time that the book was begun, in 1478 (f. 1r), the town was in the possession of the archbishop of Strasbourg. The documents include oaths and regulations (Ordnungen) governing citizenship and various offices or professions; several agreements, notices, or petitions; and the recording of supervisors of the fields (Bannwarten, Rebbannwarten) and the prices of wine (Weinschlag), entered annually until 1762 (f. 151v) and 1788 (f. 142v), respectively. The last entries (f. 153r-154r) are mostly in French and record taxes on (or prices of?) wine from 1789 to 1832. Remains of leather finding tabs (f. 30, 47, 94).
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent152 leaves : 318 x 200 mm. bound to 335 x 218 mm
CollationPaper, 148 + iv; 1⁸(-1) 2⁶(-1) 3¹⁰ 4⁶ 5⁸ 6⁶ 7⁸ 8¹⁰ 9⁸ 10¹⁰ 11⁶ 12¹⁰ 13⁶(-5) 14¹⁰(-8, 9, 10) 15⁸(-2) 16⁴(-1) 17⁶ 18⁸ 19⁶ 20¹⁰(-10) 21⁶ 22²(2 is pastedown); 1-42, 44-94, [i], 95-114,121-154 (f. 103-105, 121, 122, 131, and 152 are blank); contemporary foliation, upper right recto.
Binding16th-century half-pigskin over wooden boards (Zacour-Hirsch).
Some initial flourishes and some headings in more formal book script throughout, with some instances of more embellished initials (f. 58r, 58v, 59r, 65v, 66r, 66v, 132v, 133r, 139r, 140r).
- Sold by Helmuth Domizlaff (Munich), 1952.
- Wine and wine making--Law and legislation--France--Alsace
- Government records
- Finding tabs
- Manuscripts, German--15th century
- Manuscripts, German--16th century
- Manuscripts, German--17th century
- Manuscripts, German--18th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 15th century
- 16th century
- 17th century
- 18th century
- Financial records
- Government records
- Wine and winemaking
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize Ms. Codex 1098: Documents of the town of Châtenois are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- fol. 30r — Finding tab, f. 30r
Inside front cover
0397_0001.tif (66.6 MB)
0397_0001_thumb.jpg (3.6 KB)
0397_0001_web.jpg (257.8 KB)
0397_0060.tif (66.6 MB)
0397_0060_thumb.jpg (4.4 KB)
0397_0060_web.jpg (265.8 KB)
Decoration: Finding tab, f. 30r