Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 1220 Sententiae ex variis authoribus decerptae
TitleSententiae ex variis authoribus decerptae
- Ausonius, Decimus Magnus
- Claudianus Mamertus, d. ca. 474
- Ennodius, Magnus Felix, Saint, 474-521
- Laberius, D. ca. 107-43 B.C
- Lucan, 39-65
- Nazarius, fl. 322
- Pacatus Drepanius, Latinus, 4th cent
- Petronius Arbiter
- Pliny, the Younger
- Publilius, Syrus, 1st cent. B.C
- Salvian, of Marseilles, ca. 400-ca. 480
- Seneca, Lucius Annaeus, ca. 4 B.C.-65 A.D
Other related names
- Lea, Henry Charles, 1825-1909, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1220
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4324593
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageLatin, with some French (f. 185r-270v)
Selections from classical Latin works by a large variety of authors, followed by two French summaries on the history of heresy in the Church. Much of the Latin section consists of panegyrics, mostly from the authors of the Panegyrici Latini. The text is not an exact match to the Panegyrici Latini. The margins contain some notes in French in another hand, generally summarizing the Latin content. Most of the panegyrics eulogize the Emperor Constantine or other rulers. Some of the other Latin works include epigrams, poetry, plays, and satires.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (f. 1r).
WatermarkDouble-headed eagle with 6 feathers on each wing over the word BRUA(N?).
Extent272 leaves : 315 x 200 mm. bound to 320 x 210 mm
FoliationPaper, 272; [1-272]; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
BindingContemporary gilt morocco (Zacour-Hirsch).
- Formerly owned by Henry Charles Lea.
- Christian heresies--History
- Conduct of life--Early works to 1800
- Epigrams, Latin
- Latin drama (Comedy)
- Laudatory poetry, Latin
- Maxims, Latin
- Satire, Latin
- Speeches, addresses, etc., Latin
- Theology--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Latin--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
3514_0001.tif (68.5 MB)
3514_0001_thumb.jpg (5.3 KB)
3514_0001_web.jpg (453.6 KB)