Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 1236 Waldeckische Erneurung de anno 1612
TitleWaldeckische Erneurung de anno 1612
- Johann II, Count Palatine of Pfalz-Zweibrücken, 1584-1635
- Olinger, Albrecht
- Wolfgang, Count Palatine of Pfalz-Zweibrücken, 1526-1569
Other related names
- Pfeiffer, Theobald, witness
- Hornig, Peter, witness
- Bretschi, Johann Adam, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1236
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4364567
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- circa 1718
Compilation of legal and administrative regulations and factual data pertaining to the Electoral Palatinate (Kurpfalz) government office of Waldeck (Schloss Haus und Amt Waldeck; f. 2r), as newly set down in 1612, evidently in the form of a later copy, with incorporation of additional notes. The office, also known as Kellerei Waldeck (f. 104r), was until the Thirty Years' War located at the castle of Waldeck, in Vorderheubach (today in the town of Heiligkreuznach im Odenwald, in the Rhein-Neckar-Kreis district of Baden-Württemberg). The preface (f. 2r-v; rubric: Waldeck) by Albrecht Olinger indicates that Johann II, Count Palatine of Pfalz-Zweibrücken, ordered the work on 2 January 1612, and that Olinger produced it under the oversight (im Beijsein) of Theobald (or: Debolt) Pfeiffer (f. 2r), the Zent-Schultheiss (head of local law enforcement) in Heiligkreuzsteinach (Creutzsteinach; f. 2v). Olinger lists 11 officials of the local court of law (Centh-Gericht; f. 2v) who witnessed the work, including Pfeiffer; Peter Hornig, the Unterschultheiss (deputy Schultheiss); and 9 others (no signatures are included). A table of contents (Register; f. 3r-4r) gives rubrics roughly corresponding to the contents, but folio numbers that do not appear to reflect the current work (contemporary folio numbers on leaves are lacking). The work makes reference to later dates, namely 1614 (f. 23r), 1616 (f. 71r), and 1668 (f. 30r); and incorporates notes that appear to report later developments (Notta, NB; f. 1r, 34v, 47r, 64v), including one citing the date 1718 (f. 46v). The first portion of the book, on Waldeck proper (f. 4r-25r), includes an inventory of the properties belonging to Waldeck castle, and a section (Appellation; f. 12v-13v) outlining in 11 articles (Centh Articuln) judicial procedures for the court in Heiligkreuzsteinach, which stood under the higher authority of the court in Heidelberg (Heijdelberg). Title pages mark the beginning of sections on villages under the jurisdiction of Waldeck: Eiterbach (f. 25v), Neudorff (f. 35r), Lampenhain (Lampenhahn; f. 48v), Hohenardt (f. 51r), Vorderheubach (Foderheubach; f. 64r), Bärsbach (Berspach; f. 72r), Heddesbach (Heddespach; f. 79r), and Schimbach (Schumbach; f. 93r). The records include statements about authority (Obrigkeit) and the criminal court (Malefitz und Halssgericht); demarcation of borders; regulations about residence (Einzug, Auszug), spirits (Umgeld und Weinschanck), guardianship of minors (Vormundschafft), livestock (Fassel Viehs Erhaltung), farming (Bauung der Frohn Äcker; Ernd Einheimschung), maintenance of roads (Weeg und Stegerhaltung), compulsory labor (Frohndienst), haymaking (Heu und Ohmet Mehungen), and forestry (Waldungen und Holtzeinung); and assessment of taxes, including a Turkish war tax (Türkensteuer), monies from bondspersons (Leibgeld, Leibeigene), chickens for Shrovetide (Fassnacht Hüner), and other income due on a regular basis (Stendig Geld von den Hofstätten). Names of individuals or households in the various localities are given throughout. Copies of additional documents are appended: a new regulation (f. 104r-v) regarding the offices of Schultheiss and Zinssmeister, dated 1661 (anno Lxi; f. 104v); and 4 agreements or contracts with Wolfgang, Count Palatine of Pfalz-Zweibrücken (Pfaltzgraffen beij Rhein), dated 1536-1538 (f. 105r-116r). Pages at the back of the book were evidently used for accounts of household income and expenses, dated 1867-1872 (f. 116v-120v, 122v, 123v-124v), presumably by Johann Adam Bretschi, whose name is written on earlier pages (47v; 56r, with date 1870).
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (f. 1r).
Extent125 leaves : 199 x 168 (170-185 x 138) mm. bound to 203 x 173 mm
FoliationPaper, i + 124; [1-124]; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
BindingContemporary boards, with spine rebacked (Zacour-Hirsch).
Rubrics written in a more careful, sometimes calligraphic hand, often within decorated initials.
- Formerly owned by Johann Adam Bretschi, circa 1867-1872.
- Sold at Reuss auction by Edelman, 1971.
- Government records
- Manuscripts, German--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- fol. 1r — Decorated heading, f. 1r
Inside front cover
3041_0001.tif (37.8 MB)
3041_0001_thumb.jpg (4.1 KB)
3041_0001_web.jpg (290.1 KB)
3041_0004.tif (37.8 MB)
3041_0004_thumb.jpg (5.9 KB)
3041_0004_web.jpg (324.0 KB)
Decoration: Decorated heading, f. 1r