Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 1263 Confessione generale
Call numberMs. Codex 1263
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9944006193503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageItalian, probably Tuscan, with some prayers in Latin
- ca. 1400-1450?
A two-part manual of confession for use by a female penitent, probably in a religious order. The first part gives the form for the penitent to confess, structured in a customary way around the ten commandments, the seven mortal sins, the five senses, the twelve articles of faith, the three theological virtues, the four cardinal virtues, and the seven spiritual gifts. The text uses feminine endings and forms, and includes the penitent's confessions of sin, written in the first person and sometimes referring to wrongdoing against her sisters. The second part is a manual to guide priests through the sacrament of confession, again structured around the ten commandments, the seven mortal sins, the five senses, and the theological and cardinal virtues. References to Saint Augustine in both parts (f. 1r, 9v, 29v) may suggest that the context of this manuscript was a religious community under the Rule of Saint Augustine.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from caption title for first part (f. 1r).
Extent30 leaves : 222 x 145 (140 x 84) mm. bound to 232 x 156 mm
CollationParchment, ii (modern paper) + 30 + ii (modern paper); 1-3¹⁰; quires 1-3 signed a1-a5, b1-b5, c1-c5 in lower right recto, with some partly trimmed away; vertical catchword (f. 20 v); modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
Binding19th-century morocco (Les Enluminures).
- Sold by Les Enluminures (Paris and Chicago), 2008.
- Confession--Catholic Church--Handbooks, manuals, etc.--Early works to 1800
- Monastic and religious life of women--Early works to 1800
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Italian--15th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 15th century
- Instructional materials
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Codex 1263: Confessione generale are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
1258_0001.tif (33.0 MB)
1258_0001_thumb.jpg (3.0 KB)
1258_0001_web.jpg (212.5 KB)
1258_0006.tif (33.0 MB)
1258_0006_thumb.jpg (4.1 KB)
1258_0006_web.jpg (253.7 KB)
Section: Confessione generale, f. 1r
1258_0026.tif (33.0 MB)
1258_0026_thumb.jpg (4.3 KB)
1258_0026_web.jpg (250.2 KB)
Section: Manual for confessors, f. 11r