Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Oversize Ms. Codex 1277 Ledger of debtors and creditors
TitleLedger of debtors and creditors
Call numberOversize Ms. Codex 1277
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9944285343503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
- ca. 1537
Ledger of debtors and creditors of the Medici family for the years 1535-1537. Often includes the nature of a given credit or debt and its amount, as well as listing the names of the individuals or institutions that hold the debt or credit, the most important being the Spedale e Spedalino di Santa Maria Novella (p. 12), a Florentine church which also offered pilgrims and those in need medical help, the Capitolo del convento delle monache delle convertite (p. 62), a nunnery for young women, often prostitutes, who converted to Catholicism, and the Opera i operai di Santa Maria del Fiore (p. 62 and 105).
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Forms part of: Gondi-Medici Business Records.
WatermarkSimilar to Briquet, Ancre 491 (Florence, 1522), but with larger arms and flukes.
Extent176 leaves : 334 x 237 mm. bound to 342 x 239 mm
FoliationPaper, i (parchment) + 176 leaves + i (parchment); versos numbered 1-95, , 97-107, [108-176]; contemporary pagination in ink, modern pagination in pencil, upper left verso; rectos numbered [i], i-cvii, [cviii-clxv], contemporary pagination in ink, modern pagination in pencil, upper right recto (leaves after p. 107 are blank but ruled). Each opening has a matched arabic numeral on the left and a roman numeral on the right.
BindingContemporary vellum, no. 131 on spine; the heading Q[uadern]o di chassa settimo, no. 289, on upper cover, lower cover wraps around upper cover with leather strap, metal buckle on upper cover; decorative leatherwork on spine.
- Sold by Bernard M. Rosenthal, 1961.
- Accounting--Italy--16th century
- Credit records
- Ledgers (account books)
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 16th century
- Financial records
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize Ms. Codex 1277: Ledger of debtors and creditors are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
1266_0001.tif (78.6 MB)
1266_0001_thumb.jpg (4.3 KB)
1266_0001_web.jpg (254.2 KB)