Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Oversize Ms. Codex 1286 Ledger of Medici debtors and creditors
TitleLedger of Medici debtors and creditors
Call numberOversize Ms. Codex 1286
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9944311153503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
- ca. 1544
Ledger of debtors and creditors of the Medici family for the years 1543-1544. Often includes the nature of a given credit or debt and its amount, as well as listing the names of the individuals or institutions that hold the debt or credit, the most important being the Opera di Santa Maria del Fiore (p. 4); the Spedale e Spedalino di Santa Maria Novella (p. 11), a Florentine church which also offered medical help to pilgrims and those in need; and the Capitolo e Convento delle monache delle convertite (p. 25), a nunnery for young women, often prostitutes, who converted to Catholicism.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Forms part of: Gondi-Medici Business Records.
WatermarkSimilar to Briquet 6683, Fleur (Rome, 1545-50).
Extent144 leaves : 330 x 224 mm. bound to 335 x 228 mm
FoliationPaper, i (parchment) + 144 leaves + i (parchment); versos numbered 1-81, [82-144], contemporary foliation in ink, modern foliation in pencil, upper left verso; rectos numbered [i], i-lxxxi, [lxxxii-cxxxxiii], upper right recto (leaves after p. 81 are blank but ruled). Each opening has a matched arabic numeral on the left and a roman numeral on the right.
BindingContemporary vellum, no. 143 on spine; the heading Q[uadern]o di cassa ventunesimo, no. 296, on upper cover; lower cover with remnants of leather ties wraps around upper cover with leather strap; decorative leatherwork on spine.
- Sold by Bernard M. Rosenthal, 1961.
- Accounting--Italy--16th century
- Credit records
- Ledgers (account books)
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 16th century
- Financial records
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize Ms. Codex 1286: Ledger of Medici debtors and creditors are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
1276_0001.tif (78.9 MB)
1276_0001_thumb.jpg (4.0 KB)
1276_0001_web.jpg (224.8 KB)
fol. 144r; 144v-Flyleaf 1r pasted together, not shot
1276_0170.tif (78.9 MB)
1276_0170_thumb.jpg (3.1 KB)
1276_0170_web.jpg (197.6 KB)