Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Oversize Ms. Codex 1289 Ledger of Medici debtors and creditors
TitleLedger of Medici debtors and creditors
Call numberOversize Ms. Codex 1289
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9944311183503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
- ca. 1546
Ledger of debtors and creditors of Carlo de' Medici for the years 1544-1546. Often includes the nature of a given credit or debt and its amount, as well as listing the names of the individuals or institutions that hold the debt or credit, the most important being the Opera di Santa Maria del Fiore (p. 2); the Capitolo delle monache delle convertite (p. 14), a nunnery for young women, often prostitutes, who converted to Catholicism; the Spedale di Santa Maria degli Innocenti (p. 18), a children's orphanage in Florence; and the Spedale di Santa Maria Novella (p. 18), a Florentine church which also offered medical help to pilgrims and those in need.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Forms part of: Gondi-Medici Business Records.
WatermarkSimilar to Briquet, Echelle 5922 (Siena, 1495-1524).
Extent96 leaves : 336 x 228 mm. bound to 348 x 230 mm
FoliationPaper, 96 leaves; versos numbered 1-22, xxiii, 24-85, [86-96], contemporary foliation in ink, modern foliation in pencil, upper left verso; rectos numbered [i], i-lii, [liii], liiii-lxv, [lxvi], lxvii-lxxxi, [lxxxii], lxxxiii-lxxxiiii, [lxxxv-lxxxxv], contemporary foliation in ink, modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto. Each opening has a matched arabic numeral on the left and a roman numeral on the right.
BindingContemporary vellum, no. 34 on spine; the heading Q[uadern]o di cassa ventiduesimo, no. 306 on upper cover; lower cover with remnants of leather ties wraps around upper cover with leather strap; decorative leatherwork on spine.
- Sold by Bernard M. Rosenthal, 1961.
- Accounting--Italy--16th century
- Credit records
- Ledgers (account books)
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 16th century
- Financial records
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize Ms. Codex 1289: Ledger of Medici debtors and creditors are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
1279_0001.tif (83.5 MB)
1279_0001_thumb.jpg (3.9 KB)
1279_0001_web.jpg (288.4 KB)