Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 130 Mensschen Arzeneÿ Büchlein von allerhande approbierten Hauss Mittlen
TitleMensschen Arzeneÿ Büchlein von allerhande approbierten Hauss Mittlen
Call numberMs. Codex 130
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1551754
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Collection of medical recipes, cures, etc. Consists only of the first book of a longer work (f. 183v: "Finis libri primi"). Includes "aurum potabile," many remedies against the plague, as well as against stomachache, headache, toothache, burns; recipes for the preparation of oils, salves, plasters, etc. There is a list of contents on the seven leaves after f. 183.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from caption title (f. 1r). "Arzeneÿ Büchlein" is a generic title that some reference sources modernize as Arzneibuch or Arzneibüchlein. Title in Zacour-Hirsch: Pharmacopoeia.
- Watermarks with the initials SW.
- Unidentified German dealer's description on file in the Library.
Extent249 leaves : 146 x 98 (83 x 70) mm. bound to 152 x 103 mm
CollationPaper, 249; 1⁶, 2-11⁸, 12⁶(+1), 13-24⁸, 25⁸( -3), 26⁸( -1), 27-31⁸, 32⁸( -2); [xxi], 1-172, 177-183, [184-228]; contemporary foliation in ink, modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto. Folios 173-176 missing; stubs suggest that they were torn out. Second set of contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto, mostly trimmed away. The first and last leaves are pastedowns. Catchwords in lower right, last verso of each quire.
Binding17th-century German parchment over wooden boards with iron clasps. Cover splitting at hinges. Most folios have stains suggestive of water damage.
- Acquired, 1966.
- Medicine--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions--Early works to 1800
- Pharmacology--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, German--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
2332_0001.tif (36.9 MB)
2332_0001_thumb.jpg (5.0 KB)
2332_0001_web.jpg (316.2 KB)