Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Oversize Ms. Codex 1303 Ledger of Medici accounts
TitleLedger of Medici accounts
Call numberOversize Ms. Codex 1303
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9944330133503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Ledger of accounts of Andrea and Vincenzo de' Medici, son of Carlo de' Medici, for the years 1585-1612. Often includes the nature of a given transaction and its amount, as well as listing the names of the individuals that act as counterparts in the transaction. In certain cases the transactions are in kind (examples of the produce used for these payments are chestnuts, grains, cattle feed, cattle, swine) but cash transactions are more common. The counterparts in the transactions are often employees or tenants of Vincenzo de' Medici, and as such can pay in kind, or receive in kind payments. Other transactions are related to the management of the textile business, an area of extreme importance for the Medici family, or to debts and credits with textile trade counterparts.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Forms part of: Gondi-Medici Business Records.
WatermarkSimilar to Briquet, Fleur-de-lis 7105 (Rome, 1565), but with rounder petals.
Extent96 leaves : 344 x 236 mm. bound to 358 x 238 mm
FoliationPaper, i (paper) + 96 leaves + i (paper); rectos numbered [i], 2, iii, [iiii], 5-19, xx-xxiii, [xxiiii-lxxii], lxxiii-lxxv, 76-82, [lxxxiii-xcvi], contemporary pagination in ink, modern pagination in pencil, upper right recto; versos numbered , 2-23, [24-72], 73-82, [83-96], upper left verso (leaves 24-72 and 83-96 are blank). In most cases, each opening has a matched arabic numeral on the left and a roman numeral on the right.
BindingContemporary vellum, no. 53 on spine; the heading Ent[rat]a e uscita del libro, no. 34, signet VA and letter B with decorative penwork on upper cover; lower cover with remnants of leather ties wraps around upper cover; decorative leatherwork on spine.
- Sold by Bernard M. Rosenthal, Inc. (New York), 1961.
- Accounting--Italy--16th century
- Credit records
- Ledgers (account books)
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Italian--17th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- Manuscripts, European
- 16th century
- 17th century
- Financial records
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize Ms. Codex 1303: Ledger of Medici accounts are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
1179_0001.tif (79.7 MB)
1179_0001_thumb.jpg (4.1 KB)
1179_0001_web.jpg (238.4 KB)