Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 1421 Praelectiones in Petri Burmanni antiquitates romanas
TitlePraelectiones in Petri Burmanni antiquitates romanas
- Ernesti, Johann August, 1707-1781
Other related names
- Lenz, C. L, former owner
- Leutsch, Ernst von, 1808-1887, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1421
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4454791
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageLatin, with some phrases and passages in German throughout, and occasional words, phrases, or citations in Greek
- between 1742 and 1781
Notes taken by a student at the lectures on ancient Rome given by Johann August Ernesti at the University of Leipzig, with contemporary marginal notes. The marginal notes, predominately in Latin, mostly summarize the adjacent text. An introductory section (p. 1-2) includes a list of source works by Peter Burman, Konrad Peutinger, Fabricius, Apian and Amantius, Justus Lipsius, Janus Gruterus, Joseph Scaliger, and Thomas Reinesius. The work is divided into three parts, each of which is split into several chapters: part 1 (p. 3- 98) deals with the history, religions, calendar, holidays, games (including names of famous gladiators), the Roman Senate, and the Equestrian class; part 2 (p. 98-179) discusses magistrates, civil laws, courts, and a somewhat miscellaneous section, titled Omissions, including information on vestments, banquets, measurements, money, and funeral rites; part 3 (p. 179-199) concerns the military, focusing on general information, leaders, army formations, equipment, and rewards and punishments. The last few pages (p. 200-204) consist of notes in a different hand, concerning the study of all things Roman. The notes are divided within the sections, appearing as rubrics at the tops of pages. Marginal notes and underlining are written in a reddish-brown ink throughout.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (p. i).
Extent103 leaves : 245 x 198 (200-202 x 111-112) mm. bound to 255 x 213 mm
FoliationPaper, i + 103 leaves; [i-ii], 1-199, [200-204]. Contemporary pagination in ink, modern pagination in pencil, upper outer corners.
BindingContemporary half-parchment (Zacour-Hirsch).
- Formerly owned by C. L. Lenz, director of the Weimar Gymnasium; purchased in 1809 (inscription, inside upper cover: Besitzer ist C. L. Lenz, Dir. gymn. zu Weimar. 1809 gekauft für Rthlr.).
- Formerly part of the library of Ernst von Leutsch (bookplate, inside upper cover), professor of classics at the University of Göttingen, purchased by the University of Pennsylvania before 1891.
- Roman law
- Lecture notes
- Manuscripts, Latin--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1421: Praelectiones in Petri Burmanni antiquitates romanas are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
4883_0001.tif (35.7 MB)
4883_0001_thumb.jpg (3.6 KB)
4883_0001_web.jpg (234.3 KB)