Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 1439 Privilegi, decreti imperiali, bolle pontificie, coronazione di principe grande, instruzioni, renunzie, instrumenti, rogiti di benedizioni coniugale, relazioni, investiture, scritture diverse, lettere missive e responsive, il tutto attinente nel principio alla Casa de' Medici e poi alla Casa Reale di Toscana
TitlePrivilegi, decreti imperiali, bolle pontificie, coronazione di principe grande, instruzioni, renunzie, instrumenti, rogiti di benedizioni coniugale, relazioni, investiture, scritture diverse, lettere missive e responsive, il tutto attinente nel principio alla Casa de' Medici e poi alla Casa Reale di Toscana
- Medici, Maria de'
- Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor, 1459-1519
- Henry IV, King of France, 1553-1610
- Louis XI, King of France, 1423-1483
- Leopold I, Holy Roman Emperor, 1640-1705
- Louis XIV, King of France, 1638-1715
- Philip V, King of Spain, 1683-1746
- Ferdinando I, Grand-Duke of Tuscany, 1549-1609
- Ferdinando II, Grand-Duke of Tuscany, 1610-1670
- Cosimo I, Grand-Duke of Tuscany, 1519-1574
- Cosimo III, Grand-Duke of Tuscany, 1642-1723
- Pius II, Pope, 1405-1464
- Innocent XII, Pope, 1615-1700
- Pius V, Pope, 1504-1572
- Urban VIII, Pope, 1568-1644
- Clement X, Pope, 1590-1676
- Alexander VII, Pope, 1599-1667
Other related names
- Colombari, Antonio Peregrino, former owner
- Ginori Conti, Piero, 1865-1939, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1439
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4460974
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageItalian and Latin
- after 1711
Miscellaneous documents related to the Medici family and the grand-dukes of Tuscany. Many documents represent communications between the Florentine rulers and the Papal States in various forms (including papal bulls, briefs and letters). The House of Medici had a close relationship with the Papal States for centuries, and the Pope was present in many important moments of the history of the family; examples of this relationship that appear in the manuscript include a bull of Pope Pius V in which he proclaimed Cosimo I de' Medici grand-duke of Tuscany in 1569 (translation from Latin on p. 45-54); a blessing for the wedding between Henry the IV, King of France, and Maria de' Medici made by the cardinal Aldobrandino (p. 108-110); a letter between Ferdinando II, grand-duke of Tuscany, and Pope Clement IX (p. 110-111); a letter between Pope Alexander VIII and Cosimo III, grand-duke of Tuscany (p. 111-114); and detailed accounts of the papal ambassadors in Tuscany (p. 119-126). The grand-dukes of Tuscany aimed at creating a network of allies all over Europe: documents on foreign relations between the House of Medici and grand-dukes of Tuscany include correspondence between Cosimo I and Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, Philip II, King of Spain, Henry IV, King of France and Pope Pius V; a copy of the inclusion of Cosimo III (even if Florence did not directly take part in the conflict) in the Treaty of Ryswick, 1697 (p. 115-116); a letter between the ambassador of Tuscany and that of England (p. 130-131); and an account on the Treaty of Ratisbon, between France and Spain, in 1684 (p. 245-273). The manuscript also contains miscellaneous documents related to the history of the Catholic church (including one on nepotism, p. 139-146); documents on the Spanish monarchy (including an explanation of why the kings of Spain are called Catholic); an account of one of the many Dutch rebellions against England and France; and the history of the conspiracy against Pier Luigi Farnese, duke of Parma, Piacenza and Castro, ordered by Charles the V. A table of contents in a late 19th-century hand, with 6 leaves, containing a complete list of the works contained in the manuscript, is laid inside the upper cover.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from p.21.
WatermarkUnidentified watermark containing a triangle with a clover-leaf on top and 3 crossed arrows underneath. Beneath the arrows is the name M O R O and the initials G R.
Extent344 leaves : 232 x 167 mm. bound to 243 x 180 mm. +
FoliationPaper, 344 leaves; [1-688]; modern pagination in pencil, upper outer corners.
BindingGilt contemporary morocco with arms of Medici on upper and lower cover (Zacour-Hirsch).
Watercolor illustration of the coats of arms of the grand-duke of Tuscany, the Medici family and of Florence surround title box (p. 21); horizontal decorative line at the end of some documents (for example, p. 28, 29, 37 etc); signet containing the initials L S (for example, p. 28 and p. 38); 2 seals drawn in ink and pencil, made of two concentric circles each and containing the words DOMINE TU SICS QUIA AMO TE SEMPER and PONTIFEX MAXIMUS INNOCENTIUS XII respectively (p.146); sprinkled edges in red and green.
- Formerly owned by Antonio Peregrino Colombari (inscription, f. 1r).
- Formerly owned by Piero Ginori-Conti (bookplate inside upper cover).
- Catholic Church--Clergy--Papal documents
- Catholic Church--Foreign relations
- Church and state--Italy
- Ambassadors--Italy--17th century
- Nepotism--Early works to 1800
- Bulls (papal records)
- Papal briefs
- Manuscripts, Italian--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1439: Privilegi, decreti imperiali, bolle pontificie, coronazione di principe grande, instruzioni, renunzie, instrumenti, rogiti di benedizioni coniugale, relazioni, investiture, scritture diverse, lettere missive e responsive, il tutto attinente nel principio alla Casa de' Medici e poi alla Casa Reale di Toscana are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
4982_0001.tif (89.3 MB)
4982_0001_thumb.jpg (7.9 KB)
4982_0001_web.jpg (551.2 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover
4982_0034.tif (89.3 MB)
4982_0034_thumb.jpg (7.1 KB)
4982_0034_web.jpg (341.1 KB)
Decoration: Drawing, Coats of arms, p. 21
4982_0159.tif (89.3 MB)
4982_0159_thumb.jpg (8.8 KB)
4982_0159_web.jpg (452.5 KB)
Decoration: Decorated heading, p. 146