Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Oversize Ms. Codex 1446 Medici contracts
- Jordanis, Franciscus de
- Jordanis, Joannes Baptiste de
- Vicchi, Sebastian de Franceschis
Call numberOversize Ms. Codex 1446
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9944647153503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageLatin, with some Italian passages
A collection of contracts involving Carlo Bernardo Alamanni de' Medici, most concerning property and goods, but many also concerning debts, sales, purchasing of titles, and inheritances. Some regard ecclesiastical properties. The title page (f. i recto) contains a later list of revised deeds, organized by year and page number, dated 1656. Divided into sections based on date, from 1552 to 1569. Most of the interactions and goods described are located near or in Florence. Many concern Giovanni Baptista Detti, Camillo de' Medici, Francisco from the ship Decumano, and a Bartolomeo. Many of the properties have been entrusted to Carlo de' Medici, who then rented them out. Details included about the various properties regard crops, houses, the kinds of trees on a property, barrels for wine, and so on. Last quire is detached from the rest of the codex. Contains marginal notes, mostly in Italian summarizing the Latin text, throughout, as well as a few notarial signets. Notaries include Franciscus de Jordanis (f. 14r), Joannes Baptiste de Jordanis (f. 14r), and Sebastian de Franceschis Vicchi (f. 15r).
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
WatermarkSimilar to Briquet Etoile 6098 (Siena, 1550-1555), f. 32-45; five-pointed crown with a floral shape beneath (f. 48).
Extent50 leaves : 280 x 210 (240 x 165) mm. bound to 290 x 235 mm
CollationPaper, 50; 1-3¹⁶ 4²; [i], 1-48, ; contemporary foliation in ink, modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
BindingContemporary vellum, no. 126 on spine; the heading Libro di contracti, no. 9 on upper cover; lower cover wraps around upper cover; decorative leatherwork on spine.
Face within initial C in ink (f. i recto); ink drawing of a kind of pillar topped with a crescent moon (f. 8v).
- Sold by Bernard M. Rosenthal, 1961.
- Real property--Italy--16th century
- Inheritance and succession--Italy
- Church property
- Notarial documents
- Manuscripts, Latin--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 16th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize Ms. Codex 1446: Medici contracts are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- fol. 8v — Drawing, Pillar with crescent, f. 8v
Inside front cover
0805_0001.tif (59.8 MB)
0805_0001_thumb.jpg (4.7 KB)
0805_0001_web.jpg (339.2 KB)
0805_0019.tif (59.8 MB)
0805_0019_thumb.jpg (5.8 KB)
0805_0019_web.jpg (299.3 KB)
Decoration: Drawing, Pillar with crescent, f. 8v