Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 1470 Causae juridicae
Other related names
- North, Frederick, Earl of Guilford, 1766-1827, former owner
- Martini, Giuseppe, 1870-1944, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1470
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9944770323503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageItalian, in the Venetian dialect
- between 1500 and 1550
Short manual on civil law and civil procedure, probably written by a Venetian lawyer or judge, concerning trials held at the Corte del Proprio (referred to as zudicadi or zudega de proprio in the text), a civil court mostly responsible for dowry, succession, and inheritance law and litigation between brothers (or other close relatives), especially for the execution of wills. The manual, probably based on a much larger work, contains informal notes and instructions, written in Venetian dialect, to help professionals deal with the most common occurrences in trials at the Corte del Proprio. In some cases, there are also suggestions on how to deal with certain situations without going to court, using a kind of mediation that allowed for a quicker resolution of the case.
- Ms. codex.
- Spine title.
Extent56 leaves : 157 x 108 (114 x 77 mm.), bound to 162 x 115 mm
FoliationPaper, ii (paper) + 56 + i (paper); 1-47, , 49-50, [51-56]; contemporary foliation in ink, modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
BindingHalf calf (Zacour-Hirsch) with marbled boards and gilt on spine.
Ornamental border with geometric decoration in ink (f. 1r).
- Formerly in the collection of Frederick North, Earl of Guilford, vt2/4/18 (bookplate, inside upper cover).
- Formerly in the collection of Giuseppi Martini (bookplate, front flyleaf recto).
- Trials--Italy--Early works to 1800
- Civil law--Italy
- Inheritance and succession--Italy
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 16th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Codex 1470: Causae juridicae are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
0849_0001.tif (35.9 MB)
0849_0001_thumb.jpg (4.9 KB)
0849_0001_web.jpg (306.1 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover
0849_0006.tif (35.9 MB)
0849_0006_thumb.jpg (5.4 KB)
0849_0006_web.jpg (324.5 KB)
Decoration: Decorated border, f. 1r