Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Oversize Ms. Codex 1496 Ledger of Medici accounts and debtors and creditors
TitleLedger of Medici accounts and debtors and creditors
Call numberOversize Ms. Codex 1496
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9944869723503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Ledger of accounts of an unidentified member of the Medici family for the years 1538-1539. Often includes the nature of a given credit or debt and its amount, as well as listing the names of the individuals or institutions that hold the debt or credit, the most important being Carlo di Umberto Acciaiuoli; Agnolo e Piero Salviati; Alessandro e Agnolo Antinori; Francesco Rucellai; Benedetto di Polito; Piero and Luigi Capponi; Ottaviano and Cosimo de' Medici; the Spedale di Santa Maria degli Innocenti (p. 8); the Capitolo delle monache delle convertite (p. 19), a nunnery for young women, often prostitutes, who converted to Catholicism; the Spedale di Santa Maria Novella (p. 22), a Florentine church which also offered medical help to pilgrims and those in need; and the Opera di Santa Maria del Fiore (p. 53). Transactions are sometimes related to payments for produce, rent or customs fees, as well as small debts and credits with workers (including a scribe and a road builder). Most of the individuals who appear in the ledger are, however, members of different Florentine aristocratic families with whom the Medici did business.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- For an alphabetical index to a ledger of accounts, dated 1539-1540, containing entries for many of the individuals mentioned in the present index, and written in a similar hand, see Ms. Codex 1540, Rare Book & Manuscript Library, University of Pennsylvania.
- Very similar to Ms. Codex 1341, Rare Book and Manuscript Library, University of Pennsylvania.
- Forms part of: Gondi-Medici Business Records.
WatermarkSimilar to Briquet, Echelle 5922 (Siena, 1495-1524).
Extent96 leaves : 336 x 227 mm. bound to 350 x 240 mm
FoliationPaper, 96; versos numbered 1-89, [90-96], contemporary pagination in ink, modern pagination in pencil, upper left verso; rectos numbered [i], i-lxxxviiii, [lxxxx-lxxxxv], upper right recto (leaves after p.89 are blank but ruled). Each opening has a matched arabic numeral on the left and a roman numeral on the right.
- Sold by Bernard M. Rosenthal, 1963.
- Accounting--Italy--16th century
- Credit records
- Ledgers (account books)
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 16th century
- Financial records
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize Ms. Codex 1496: Ledger of Medici accounts and debtors and creditors are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
0891_0001.tif (75.6 MB)
0891_0001_thumb.jpg (3.0 KB)
0891_0001_web.jpg (137.0 KB)