Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Oversize Ms. Codex 1499 Ledger of Gondi accounts and debtors and creditors
TitleLedger of Gondi accounts and debtors and creditors
Call numberOversize Ms. Codex 1499
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9944875803503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Ledger of accounts and debtors and creditors of the gold beaters and gold merchants Federigo and Alfonso Gondi, sons of Giovanni di Leonardo Gondi, for the years 1506-1537. Often includes the nature of a given credit or debt and its amount, as well as listing the names of the individuals or institutions that hold the debt or credit, the most important and frequent being various members of the Antinori family and the comune of Florence, business counterparts of the Gondi brothers, doing business with them for over thirty years. In particular, the comune relied on gold artisans and merchants like the Gondi to acquire large amounts of precious metals to use for minting. Most of the transactions are related to the revenues and expenses derived from gold beating. Debts and credits with the Antinori and the Comune of Florence, as well as with other gilders and gold beaters, are common, and so are transactions with workers and employees of the family business. Expenses to purchase raw materials are also present.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Forms part of: Gondi-Medici Business Records.
WatermarkSimilar to Briquet, Chapeau 3373 (Florence, 1476).
Extent88 leaves : 401 x 283 mm. bound to 415 x 290 mm
FoliationPaper, 88; versos numbered 1-83, [84-88], contemporary pagination in ink, modern pagination in pencil, upper left verso; rectos numbered [i], i-lxxxiii, [lxxxiiii-lxxxvii], upper right recto (leaves after p.83 are blank). Each opening has a matched Arabic numeral on the left and a Roman numeral on the right.
- Sold by Bernard M. Rosenthal, 1963.
- Gold--Early works to 1800
- Accounting--Italy--16th century
- Credit records
- Ledgers (account books)
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 16th century
- Financial records
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize Ms. Codex 1499: Ledger of Gondi accounts and debtors and creditors are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
0892_0001.tif (105.3 MB)
0892_0001_thumb.jpg (2.9 KB)
0892_0001_web.jpg (138.6 KB)
Inside back cover
0892_0186.tif (105.3 MB)
0892_0186_thumb.jpg (2.9 KB)
0892_0186_web.jpg (142.3 KB)