Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Oversize Ms. Codex 1539 Ledger of Medici accounts
TitleLedger of Medici accounts
Call numberOversize Ms. Codex 1539
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9945002893503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Ledger of accounts of Ludovico Giraldi and Vincenzo de' Medici for the years 1563-1569. Ludovico and Vincenzo were both members of the guild of the lanaioli, merchants who dealt in woolen cloth and cooperated with the other corporations of bankers and merchants in the comune of Florence. Like other lanaioli, they saw all the processes from the raw baled wool through the final cloth, and the present manuscript reflects their various activities. Most of the counterparts were other textile merchants, dyers, tailors, or members of the guild. Thus, the transactions recorded in the ledger are, for the most part debts, credits or expenses related to the purchase of wool, cloth or semi-finished textile goods, as well as salary payments made to various members of the guild. The business counterparts of Vincenzo and Ludovico that appear in the ledger include members of the most prestigious Florentine families, such as Guglielmo degli Albizzi, Filippo Salviati, Giovanbattista Detti, Alessandro de' Medici, Federigo de' Ricci, and Pancrazio Rucellai. Among the names of the workers that appear in the ledger, the ones that recur more frequently are those of Piero Baldocci; Filippo Marinuggi; Francesco and Lorenzo Corsini; Luca Salvucci; and Giovanni Buontalenti. A very small number of transactions with other artisans such as shoe- and hat-makers, whose activities were only marginally related to those of the lanaioli, are also present.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Forms part of: Gondi-Medici Business Records.
WatermarkSimilar to Briquet, Arbre 773 (Livorno, 1512), but with a small star on top.
Extent48 leaves : 275 x 205 mm. bound to 289 x 217 mm
FoliationPaper, 48; , 2-19, xx, 21-46, [47-48], contemporary foliation in ink, modern foliation in ink, upper right recto (f. 47-48 are blank).
BindingContemporary vellum, no. 124 on spine; the heading Quadernaccio, signet LV, no. 134 and letter B with decorative penwork on upper cover; lower cover with remnants of leather ties wraps around upper cover; decorative leatherwork on spine.
- Sold by Bernard M. Rosenthal, 1963.
- Arte della lana (Guild : Florence, Italy)
- Accounting--Italy--16th century
- Textile industry--Italy--Early works to 1800
- Woolen and worsted manufacture--Italy--History
- Wool industry--Italy--History
- Credit records
- Ledgers (account books)
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 16th century
- Financial records
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize Ms. Codex 1539: Ledger of Medici accounts are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
1640_0001.tif (69.8 MB)
1640_0001_thumb.jpg (3.7 KB)
1640_0001_web.jpg (253.3 KB)