Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Oversize Ms. Codex 1540 Alphabetical index to Medici (?) account book
TitleAlphabetical index to Medici (?) account book
- Simon, Genuensis
Call numberOversize Ms. Codex 1540
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9945002953503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Alphabetical index with 18 lettered tabs, containing names of individuals and institutions that appear in an unidentified ledger of accounts, perhaps belonging to the Medici family and covering the years 1539-1540. The names of the individuals and institutions that appear in the index include Ottaviano and Cosimo de' Medici; Piero and Luigi Capponi; the heirs of Filippo Gondi; the Spedale di Santa Maria degli Innocenti; the Capitolo delle monache delle convertite, a nunnery for young women, often prostitutes, who converted to Catholicism; the Spedale di Santa Maria Novella, a Florentine church which also offered medical help to pilgrims and those in need; and the Opera di Santa Maria del Fiore. The cover is made of an early 14th-century vellum bifolium containing a passage from the treatise of medical botany, Clavis Sanationes sive Synonyma Medicinae (ca. 1290), by Simon Genuensis. This document is written in a Gothic script, in two columns, with red rubrics and blue initials and numerous marginalia.
- Ms. codex.
- For a ledger of accounts (dated 1538-1539), probably similar to the one for which this index was written, containing entries for many of the individuals mentioned in the present index, and written in an almost identical hand, see Ms. Codex 1496, Rare Book & Manuscript Library, University of Pennsylvania.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Forms part of: Gondi-Medici Business Records.
WatermarkSimilar to Briquet, Enclume, 5963 (Florence, 1514-29).
Extent18 leaves : 333 x 226 mm. bound to 330 x 211 mm
FoliationPaper, 18; [1-18]; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
BindingEarly 14th-century vellum (Zacour-Hirsch).
- Sold by Bernard M. Rosenthal, 1963.
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 16th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize Ms. Codex 1540: Alphabetical index to Medici (?) account book are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
0882_0000.tif (69.7 MB)
0882_0000_thumb.jpg (5.7 KB)
0882_0000_web.jpg (405.9 KB)
Decoration: Reused manuscript leaf, Front cover
Inside front cover
0882_0001.tif (69.7 MB)
0882_0001_thumb.jpg (5.2 KB)
0882_0001_web.jpg (392.9 KB)
Decoration: Reused manuscript leaf, Inside front cover
Inside back cover
0882_0038.tif (69.7 MB)
0882_0038_thumb.jpg (5.2 KB)
0882_0038_web.jpg (395.4 KB)
Decoration: Reused manuscript leaf, Inside back cover