Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Oversize Ms. Codex 1550 Racccolti del entrata delle gabelle delle bestie di Firenze
TitleRacccolti del entrata delle gabelle delle bestie di Firenze
Call numberOversize Ms. Codex 1550
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9945333873503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Ledger of accounts of an unidentified member of the Gondi family, perhaps Giovanbattista Gondi, for the year 1575. The ledger contains detailed accounts of the collection of the gabelle delle bestie, a tax on a percentage of the revenues derived from the sale of sheep and cattle. Considering the large number of entries, likely excessive for a single family, it is not clear whether the data contained in the ledger only refers to the amounts disbursed by the Gondi, or whether they were involved in the collection of tax revenue on behalf of the grand-duke, which was a relatively common practice. However, a small number of accounts (f. 3v-4r), referring to the somme del entrata delle tasse or to the somme del entrata delle misure (total amount of proceedings derived from taxation) indicates that, at least in certain occasions, the Gondi were likely involved in tax collection. Other entries throughout the ledger refer to various mills located around Florence, with no information provided concerning their ownership, and entries for the penalties paid for belated payments of the gabelle are also present.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from caption title (f. 1r).
- Forms part of: Gondi-Medici Business Records.
WatermarkSimilar to Briquet, Cloche 4096 (Pisa, 1560-1561).
Extent50 leaves : 294 x 203 mm
FoliationPaper, 50; [i], 1-10, [11-49]; contemporary foliation in ink, modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto (f. 11-19 and f. 23-47 are blank).
- Sold by Bernard M. Rosenthal, 1963.
- Accounting--Italy--16th century
- Tax collection--Italy--Florence
- Ledgers (account books)
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 16th century
- Financial records
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize Ms. Codex 1550: Racccolti del entrata delle gabelle delle bestie di Firenze are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.