Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Oversize Ms. Codex 1551 Ledger of Gondi accounts
TitleLedger of Gondi accounts
- Gondi, Alfonso
Call numberOversize Ms. Codex 1551
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9945394023503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Ledger of accounts of an unidentified member of the Gondi family, at least partly kept by Alfonso Gondi in their stead, for the year 1575. Often includes the nature of a given credit or debt and its amount, as well as listing the names of the individuals that hold the debt or credit. Among the names that appear throughout the ledger and who act as counterparts in the transactions, the most frequent are Francesco de' Medici, Benedetto Uguccioni, Antonio and Averardo Salviati, and many others. However, with the exception of the aforementioned individuals, who were members of different Florentine aristocratic families who frequently did business with the Gondi, most of the other counterparts that appear in the ledger are probably construction workers employed in the family business. Transactions are often related to the sale or purchase of products used in the construction industry (including wood, sand, tiles, and various clay artifacts), as well as small debts and credits. A very small number of entries are related to the gabelle delle bestie, a tax on a percentage of the revenues derived from the sale of sheep and cattle, although it is not clear whether the Gondi acted as collectors for the grand-duke, or whether they were tax payers, or both.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Forms part of: Gondi-Medici Business Records.
WatermarkUnidentified watermark containing an oval, a triangle, and a very thin cross.
Extent46 leaves : 296 x 202 mm
FoliationPaper, 46; [i], 1-44, , contemporary foliation in ink, modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto (f.4-5 and f.30-45 are blank).
- Sold by Bernard M. Rosenthal, 1963.
- Construction industry--Italy--Florence--History
- Accounting--Italy--16th century
- Ledgers (account books)
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 16th century
- Financial records
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize Ms. Codex 1551: Ledger of Gondi accounts are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.