Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 1579 Capitoli matrimoniali tra l'eccellentissima signora Dama Marianna Alliata ... e l'eccellentissimo signore Don Baldassare Naselli e Morso, principe di Poggioreale
TitleCapitoli matrimoniali tra l'eccellentissima signora Dama Marianna Alliata ... e l'eccellentissimo signore Don Baldassare Naselli e Morso, principe di Poggioreale
- Filippone, Carlo
Call numberMs. Codex 1579
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9948383683503681
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageItalian, with a few passages in Latin
Copy of the prenuptial agreement (capitoli matrimoniali) entered into by Marianna Alliata, daughter of Domenico Alliata, prince of Villafranca and duke of Saponara, and Baldassare Naselli e Morso, prince of Poggioreale and son of Luigi Naselli, prince of Aragon, before their wedding in August, 1763. Because both parties were the heirs of substantial estates, including large portions of land and real property, as well as titles of nobility and privileges, the two families meticulously drafted the document to regulate matters preceding the wedding (such as Marianna's rich dowry, whose yearly installments followed a strict schedule and a set of compensatory measures should the bride's father fail to comply) and every possible outcome of the union itself (including separation, death of either spouse, offspring etc.). The document also contains the names of the numerous witnesses who were present when the agreement was made public (f. 37v-38r), as well as a brief passage, written in Latin (f. 38r-39v), in which the notary Carlo Filippone, guarantees the authenticity of the information provided.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from caption title (f. 1r).
- Forms part of: Villafiorita Ducal Records.
WatermarkUnidentified watermark containing 3 flowers and a crown.
Extent39 leaves : 304 x 212 (245 x 105) mm. bound to 311 x 218 mm
FoliationPaper, v (paper) + 39 + iv (paper); modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
BindingContemporary leather with gilt stamped borders and center floral ornament on both covers; gilt stamped spine; gilt edges; remnants of two pairs of ribbon ties.
- Sold by Kurt L. Schwarz (Beverly Hills, Calif.).
- Marriage law--Italy
- Real property--Italy--Sicily--18th century
- Legal documents
- Notarial documents
- Manuscripts, Italian--18th century
- Manuscripts, Latin--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1579: Capitoli matrimoniali tra l'eccellentissima signora Dama Marianna Alliata ... e l'eccellentissimo signore Don Baldassare Naselli e Morso, principe di Poggioreale are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
6373_0001.tif (48.4 MB)
6373_0001_thumb.jpg (3.8 KB)
6373_0001_web.jpg (214.4 KB)
mscodex1579_ref1.tif (89.5 MB)
mscodex1579_ref1_thumb.jpg (4.0 KB)
mscodex1579_ref1_web.jpg (312.2 KB)