Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 1609 Correspondence of Wilhelm IV
TitleCorrespondence of Wilhelm IV
- Wilhelm IV, Landgrave of Hesse, 1532-1592
- Maurice, Elector of Saxony, 1521-1553
- Melanchthon, Philipp, 1497-1560
- Saxony (Electorate). Landschaft
Call numberMs. Codex 1609
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9953154013503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
- after 1552
Collection of documents related to the aftermath of the Schmalkaldic War in Hesse in Saxony. The manuscript contents comprise copies of 2 letters: a letter dated 24 Feb. 1552 from Wilhelm IV to Maurice, Elector of Saxony, requesting a meeting to negotiate the release of Wilhelm's father, Philipp I, who was a leader of the Schmalkaldic League and imprisoned by Charles V as a traitor after the League's defeat; and a response dated 4 Mar. 1552 from the political leaders (Landschaft) of Saxony, asking Wilhelm to be patient.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Manuscript bound with a printed edition of Bedencken auffs Interim des ehrwirdigen und hochgelarten Herrn Philippi Melanthonis (1548), in which Melancthon expresses reservations and objections to the Augsburg Interim of 1548; from prison, Philipp I unsuccessfully urged the clergy of Hesse to accept the Interim; minimal marginal annotations. For a fuller description of this printed work, search the title Bedencken auffs Interim Des Ehrwirdigen vnd Hochgelarten Herrn Philippi Melanthonis.
WatermarkSimilar to Briquet Couronne 4960 (Siegen, 1515) and 4962 (Waiblingen, 1519), but with a small cross and quartered circle below the circle supporting the crown.
Extent7 leaves : 187 x 143 (165 x 100) mm. bound to 190 x 147 mm
FoliationPaper, 7; [1-7], modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto.
BindingBoards, with manuscript spine label Melanchton (printed work) and inscription on upper cover also concerning printed work.
- Sold by Haus der Bücher (Basel, Switzerland), 1952.
- Transferred from Culture Class collection, University of Pennsylvania, 2011.
- Schmalkaldic War, 1546-1547--Early works to 1800
- Hybrid books
- Manuscripts, German--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- Hybrid book
- 16th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Codex 1609: Correspondence of Wilhelm IV are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
2411_0001.tif (67.3 MB)
2411_0001_thumb.jpg (2.9 KB)
2411_0001_web.jpg (217.3 KB)
Flyleaf 1 verso] (printed matter not shot)
2411_0003.tif (67.3 MB)
2411_0003_thumb.jpg (2.7 KB)
2411_0003_web.jpg (242.6 KB)