Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 1616 Maximas discretas sobre a reforma necessaria da agricultura, commercio, milicia, marinha, tribunaes, e fabricas, &c. de Portugal
TitleMaximas discretas sobre a reforma necessaria da agricultura, commercio, milicia, marinha, tribunaes, e fabricas, &c. de Portugal
- Cunha, Luiz da, 1662-1749
Other related names
- Joseph, King of Portugal, 1714-1777, recipient
- Cardozo, Adolpho Soares, former owner
- Cassuto, Alfonso, 1910-1990, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1616
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5009541
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguagePortuguese, with occasional words in Latin and French
- between 1750 and 1799?
Advice about reform in Portugal, including concerns about the Inquisition, addressed to Prince Joseph, who took an active role in ruling Portugal after his father, King John V, suffered a stroke in 1742.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (f. 1r); later published under the title Testamento político.
Extent47 leaves : 203 x 155 (178 x 130) mm. bound to 207 x 165 mm
CollationPaper, 47; 1⁷ 2¹² 3⁸ 4¹² 5⁸; [1-47], modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto.
BindingContemporary (18th-century) mottled calf; gilt florets and letters C.M. on spine; paper label with blue border and number 1915 in ink on spine.
Double-ruled border on title page (f. 1r).
- Formerly owned by Adolpho Soares Cardozo (Porto, Portugal; stamp on title page, f. 1r).
- Formerly owned by antiquarian bookdealer and collector Alfonso Cassuto (Lisbon; label inside upper cover; embossed stamp, f. 1r).
- Sold at auction at Kestenbaum & Company as part of the Alfonso Cassuto collection, Part 2, 23 June 2011, lot 44.
- Inquisition--Portugal--Early works to 1800
- Kings and rulers--Duties--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Portuguese--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
1653_0001.tif (71.3 MB)
1653_0001_thumb.jpg (10.2 KB)
1653_0001_web.jpg (549.5 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover
1653_0004.tif (71.3 MB)
1653_0004_thumb.jpg (6.0 KB)
1653_0004_web.jpg (303.9 KB)
Decoration: Owner stamp, f. 1r
Inside back cover
1653_0100.tif (71.3 MB)
1653_0100_thumb.jpg (10.5 KB)
1653_0100_web.jpg (556.6 KB)