Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 1622 Les amours et les aventures d'Abrocôme et d'Anthia
TitleLes amours et les aventures d'Abrocôme et d'Anthia
- Xenophon, of Ephesus
Other related names
- Guillemeau, J.-L. M. 1766-1853, translator
Call numberMs. Codex 1622
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5021633
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Romance in five books in which Abrocôme and Anthia, a young man and woman of Ephesus, though separated and threatened by pirates, slavery, shipwrecks, unwanted suitors, and other dangers, remain faithful to one another, are reunited, and return to Ephesus. Preceded by a preface (p. 3-8) describing the discovery of the original manuscript in Florence in 1720; followed by historical and geographical notes (p. 185-295) keyed to numbers inserted in the text.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (p. 1).
Extent150 leaves : 174 x 108 (136-148 x 80-82) mm. bound to 181 x 126 mm
FoliationPaper, v + 150 + i leaves; 1-165, [i-ii], 166-298, contemporary pagination in ink, modern pagination in pencil, upper outer corners.
BindingContemporary (18th-century) parchment with damaged paper covers; spine title Les amours d'Abrocôme et d'Anthia in ink.
- Formerly owned by L. Guillemeau, son of the translator (bookplate inside upper cover).
- Sold by Amanda Hall Rare Books (Teffont Evias, England), 2011.
- Love stories, Greek--Early works to 1800
- Romances (document genre)
- Manuscripts, French--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- Inside front cover — Bookplate, Inside front cover
Inside front cover
2404_0001.tif (50.7 MB)
2404_0001_thumb.jpg (3.9 KB)
2404_0001_web.jpg (248.8 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover