Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 1660 Axiomes de medicinne
TitleAxiomes de medicinne
Other related names
- Rainsford, Charles, 1728-1809, former owner
- Northumberland, Hugh Percy, Duke of, 1742-1817, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1660
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9962918213503681
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- between 1750 and 1799
Collection of alchemical recipes for medicinal use. Includes introductory sections on the nature of maladies, their causes, and their cures. Also contains five leaves of charts listing ingredients and their properties (f. 8r-13v). Recipes include elixirs for epilepsy or stroke, purgatives, stomachics, remedies for worms, deafness, toothaches, gangrene and a number of powders, oils, syrups, and spirits with detailed information on their creation and application.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from caption title (f. 4r).
- Incipit: Le plus celebre remede est ce lui qui prepare la matiere morbifique... (f. 4r).
Extent116 leaves : 151 x 99 (128 x 78) mm. bound to 155 x 104 mm
FoliationPaper, 116; 1-116, back pastedown numbered 117; contemporary foliation in ink, upper center recto. A number of folios have been cut or torn away.
Binding18th-century gilded leather over pasteboard; spine leather is deteriorating and hinges are splitting. Some staining of leaves due to water damage.
Pen and ink diagrams of alchemical equipment (f. 50r, 69v); drawing of rose, astrological symbols, and pen trials in red ink (inside lower cover); titles, initials, and symbols throughout in red ink.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.
- Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 573, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, f. 1r; stamps throughout, for example, f. 4r).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- Alchemy--Early works to 1800
- Occultism--Early works to 1800
- Medicine--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, French--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1660: Axiomes de medicinne are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
5807_0001.tif (35.6 MB)
5807_0001_thumb.jpg (5.3 KB)
5807_0001_web.jpg (323.3 KB)
5807_0102.tif (35.6 MB)
5807_0102_thumb.jpg (5.2 KB)
5807_0102_web.jpg (308.8 KB)
Decoration: Drawing, f. 50r
5807_0141.tif (35.6 MB)
5807_0141_thumb.jpg (5.1 KB)
5807_0141_web.jpg (311.0 KB)
Decoration: Drawing, f. 69v
Inside back cover
5807_0236.tif (35.6 MB)
5807_0236_thumb.jpg (4.8 KB)
5807_0236_web.jpg (313.4 KB)
Decoration: Drawing, Inside back cover
mscodex1660_testref2.tif (173.1 MB)
mscodex1660_testref2_thumb.jpg (2.1 KB)
mscodex1660_testref2_web.jpg (87.3 KB)