Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 1664 Compendium alchimiae
- Johannes, de Garlandia, active 13th century
Other related names
- Rainsford, Charles, 1728-1809, former owner
- Northumberland, Hugh Percy, Duke of, 1742-1817, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1664
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9962935933503681
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- between 1750 and 1799
Alchemical treatise attributed to John of Garland concerning minerals, elixirs, the Smaragdine Tablet, a popular piece of Hermetica that was reputed to contain the secret to the creation of the philosopher's stone, and an alphabetical list of alchemical synonyms. Includes occasional references to works by other authors such as the 16th-century alchemist Isabella Cortese and the Dominican friar Vincent of Beauvais (p. 4) and a list of contents (p. ii).
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent79 leaves : 165 x 100 (127 x 77) mm. bound to 174 x 105 mm
Foliation79 leaves; [iv], 1-92, 97-115, [116-153], 156, [iv]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners. Horizontal catchwords, lower right corners. Pages 93-96 of the text appear to be lacking.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.
- Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 575, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (initials, p. iii; stamps throughout).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- Alchemy--Early works to 1800
- Occultism--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Latin--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1664: Compendium alchimiae are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Table of contents
Inside front cover
5559_0001.tif (44.3 MB)
5559_0001_thumb.jpg (4.1 KB)
5559_0001_web.jpg (294.6 KB)
5559_0006.tif (44.3 MB)
5559_0006_thumb.jpg (4.2 KB)
5559_0006_web.jpg (293.9 KB)
Section: De praeparatione Elixir Libellus, p.1
5559_0020.tif (44.3 MB)
5559_0020_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
5559_0020_web.jpg (311.9 KB)
Section: De Mineralibus, Liber, p.15
5559_0095.tif (44.3 MB)
5559_0095_thumb.jpg (4.8 KB)
5559_0095_web.jpg (314.6 KB)
Section: Expositio tabula smaragdi, p.90
5559_0114.tif (44.3 MB)
5559_0114_thumb.jpg (5.0 KB)
5559_0114_web.jpg (303.6 KB)
Section: Synonimorum in Arte Alchimistica expositio, p.113