Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 1678 Liber Piccatriciae
Other related names
- Rainsford, Charles, 1728-1809, former owner
- Northumberland, Hugh Percy, Duke of, 1742-1817, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1678
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 6294369
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageLatin, with occasional notes in French
- between 1750 and 1799
Latin translation of an Arabic magical handbook copied from the Spanish-language version. The text is a conglomeration of older magical and astrological works and is not clearly organized, but deals primarily with subjects such as talismans, lunar phases, and zodiac signs. Sections also include practical applications for performing magic with the use of talismans and sigils. The text draws on numerous authors and traditions, with a section devoted to discussing Indian astrological and ascetic traditions (p. 168), but also references Egyptian history, Islam, and pseudo-Aristotelian works. Also includes a table of contents at the end (p. i-x).
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (p. i).
Extent227 leaves : 230 x 177 (185 x 100) mm. bound to 236 x 182 mm
FoliationPaper, ii (contemporary paper) + 227 + ii (contemporary paper) leaves; [i], 1-89, [ii], 90-440, [x]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners.
BindingContemporary gold-tooled leather. Upper hinge nearly detached; lower hinge cracking; spine leather deteriorating.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.
- Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 589, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- Alchemy--Early works to 1800
- Astrology--Early works to 1800
- Astronomy--Early works to 1800
- Magic--Early works to 1800
- Occultism--Early works to 1800
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, Latin--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1678: Liber Piccatriciae are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
5177_0001.tif (107.3 MB)
5177_0001_thumb.jpg (7.3 KB)
5177_0001_web.jpg (495.1 KB)
Inside back cover
5177_0464.tif (107.3 MB)
5177_0464_thumb.jpg (7.3 KB)
5177_0464_web.jpg (520.8 KB)
mscodex1678_wk1_spine0001.tif (221.0 MB)
mscodex1678_wk1_spine0001_thumb.jpg (2.2 KB)
mscodex1678_wk1_spine0001_web.jpg (88.6 KB)