Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 1683 Alchemical compendium
Other related names
- Rainsford, Charles, 1728-1809, former owner
- Northumberland, Hugh Percy, Duke of, 1742-1817, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1683
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 6293563
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageGerman, with some words in Latin and marginal notes in English
- between 1750 and 1799
Extracts from works on chemistry and alchemy. Includes sections on distillation, calcination, fermentation, and discussion of the philosophers' stone. Also includes a list of contents (p. iii-viii).
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent164 leaves : 300 x 205 (280 x 160) mm. bound to 313 230 mm
FoliationPaper, 164 leaves; [xvi], 1-15, 17-268, 268-320; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners.
BindingContemporary parchment. Several leaves are detached.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.
- Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 594, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- Alchemy--Early works to 1800
- Chemistry--Early works to 1800
- Occultism--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, German--18th century
- Manuscripts, Latin--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1683: Alchemical compendium are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
5181_0001.tif (156.8 MB)
5181_0001_thumb.jpg (4.1 KB)
5181_0001_web.jpg (240.7 KB)
Inside back cover
5181_0338.tif (156.8 MB)
5181_0338_thumb.jpg (3.6 KB)
5181_0338_web.jpg (221.7 KB)