Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Oversize Ms. Codex 1685 A compendium of the book called sepher Raziel.
TitleA compendium of the book called sepher Raziel.
- Charles Rainsford Collection of Alchemical and Occult Manuscripts (University of Pennsylvania)
Other related names
- Rainsford, Charles, 1728-1809, former owner
- Northumberland, Hugh Percy, Duke of, 1742-1817, former owner (http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/nr93028960)
Call numberOversize Ms. Codex 1685
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206, University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageEnglish and Italian, with occasional Hebrew words
- between 1750 and 1799
Partial English translation and incomplete copy of UPenn Ms. Codex 1674, a collection of cabalistic works with an emphasis on angels, in the hand of Charles Rainsford. Contains incomplete copies of the first three sections, ending after p. 66 of UPenn Ms. Codex 1674.
- See also UPenn Ms. Codex 1674 for the original manuscript from which this text was copied and translated.
- Title from caption title (p. 3).
- Ms. codex.
Extent182 leaves : 372 x 240 mm bound to 381 x 252 mm +
FoliationPaper, i (contemporary paper) + 182 + i (contemporary paper); [lii], 1-111, [112-312]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners. Pages ii-l and 112-312 are blank.
BindingContemporary parchment with gold-stamped British royal coat of arms on the upper and lower covers.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 596, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).
- Angels--Early works to 1800
- Cabala--Early works to 1800
- Occultism--Early works to 1800
- Magic--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, European
- Drawings (visual works)
- Manuscripts, English
- Manuscripts, Italian
- 18th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize Ms. Codex 1685: A compendium of the book called sepher Raziel. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
5183_0001.tif (204.0 MB)
5183_0001_thumb.jpg (6.5 KB)
5183_0001_web.jpg (447.3 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 1
5183_0065.tif (173.9 MB)
5183_0065_thumb.jpg (2.9 KB)
5183_0065_web.jpg (197.0 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 2
5183_0066.tif (173.9 MB)
5183_0066_thumb.jpg (1.9 KB)
5183_0066_web.jpg (155.9 KB)
Loose note 2, Side 1
5183_0077.tif (173.9 MB)
5183_0077_thumb.jpg (2.4 KB)
5183_0077_web.jpg (195.0 KB)
Loose note 2, Side 2
5183_0078.tif (173.9 MB)
5183_0078_thumb.jpg (1.9 KB)
5183_0078_web.jpg (151.8 KB)
Inside back cover
5183_0374.tif (204.0 MB)
5183_0374_thumb.jpg (6.1 KB)
5183_0374_web.jpg (452.9 KB)
mscodex1685_wk1_0000ref.tif (52.0 MB)
mscodex1685_wk1_0000ref_thumb.jpg (2.0 KB)
mscodex1685_wk1_0000ref_web.jpg (60.0 KB)