Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 1692 An enquiry into the origin of the game of tharot
TitleAn enquiry into the origin of the game of tharot
- Court de Gébelin, Antoine, 1725-1784
Other related names
- Rainsford, Charles, 1728-1809, former owner
- Northumberland, Hugh Percy, Duke of, 1742-1817, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1692
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9962936033503681
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageEnglish, with occasional words in Hebrew and Greek
- circa 1794
English translation by Charles Rainsford of French text on the history and use of tarot cards for divination by Antoine Court de Gébelin.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (V. 1, p. v).
Extent4 v. (188, 180, 130, 196) leaves: mm. bound to mm. +
FoliationV:1: Paper, 188 leaves; [vi], 1-290, 201-278, [ii]. V.2: Paper, 180 leaves; [ii], 1-174, [i], 1-55, 55-182. V.3: Paper, 130 leaves; [iv], 1-246, [x]. V.4: Paper, 196 leaves; [x], 1-76, 72-87, 87-110, 1-4, 4-141, [cxxiv]. Contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners.
BindingContemporary parchment. Moderate to severe moisture damage has made the paper very fragile and the text illegible in many places. Volume 4 has severe moisture damage to paper and many leaves are stuck together.
Several pen and ink diagrams throughout (for example, V. 3, p. 212); pencil drawings of tarot figures (V. 2, p. 175; V. 3, p. 150).
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.
- Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 604-607, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper covers; stamps throughout).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- Occultism--Early works to 1800
- Tarot (Game)--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1692: An enquiry into the origin of the game of tharot are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover (V.1)
5706_0001.tif (94.8 MB)
5706_0001_thumb.jpg (5.1 KB)
5706_0001_web.jpg (331.5 KB)
Inside back cover (V.1)
5706_0378.tif (94.8 MB)
5706_0378_thumb.jpg (3.6 KB)
5706_0378_web.jpg (258.4 KB)
Inside front cover (V.2)
5706_0383.tif (94.8 MB)
5706_0383_thumb.jpg (4.0 KB)
5706_0383_web.jpg (280.6 KB)
Inside back cover (V.2)
5706_0744.tif (94.8 MB)
5706_0744_thumb.jpg (4.0 KB)
5706_0744_web.jpg (301.6 KB)
Inside front cover (V.3)
5706_0749.tif (94.8 MB)
5706_0749_thumb.jpg (4.0 KB)
5706_0749_web.jpg (302.8 KB)
5706_0903.tif (94.8 MB)
5706_0903_thumb.jpg (3.5 KB)
5706_0903_web.jpg (287.7 KB)
Decoration: Drawing, p. 150 (V.3)
5706_0965.tif (94.8 MB)
5706_0965_thumb.jpg (4.7 KB)
5706_0965_web.jpg (313.2 KB)
Decoration: Drawing, p. 212 (V.3)
Inside front cover
5706_1115.tif (94.8 MB)
5706_1115_thumb.jpg (4.1 KB)
5706_1115_web.jpg (266.2 KB)