Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 1697 An essay upon the history of Sabeism
TitleAn essay upon the history of Sabeism
- Bock, Jean-Nicolas-Etienne, baron de, 1747-1809
Other related names
- Rainsford, Charles, 1728-1809, former owner
- Northumberland, Hugh Percy, Duke of, 1742-1817, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1697
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 6293607
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Essay that focuses on the history and religion of the Sabaeans and the Druzes, with discussion of many other world religions and cultures such as those in India, Scandinavia, and Egypt.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from caption title (p. iii).
Extent188 leaves : 198 x 160 (170 x 115) mm. bound to 205 x 172 mm
FoliationPaper, 188 leaves; [v], 1-336, [xxxv]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners.
BindingContemporary parchment. Front pastedown has come loose from board.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.
- Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 615, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- Occultism--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1697: An essay upon the history of Sabeism are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
5210_0001.tif (87.6 MB)
5210_0001_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
5210_0001_web.jpg (320.4 KB)
5210_0345.tif (87.6 MB)
5210_0345_thumb.jpg (3.7 KB)
5210_0345_web.jpg (272.5 KB)
Section: Blank leaves start
5210_0379.tif (87.6 MB)
5210_0379_thumb.jpg (3.8 KB)
5210_0379_web.jpg (265.9 KB)
Section: Blank leaves end
mscodex1697_wk1_body0383ref.tif (29.3 MB)
mscodex1697_wk1_body0383ref_thumb.jpg (2.2 KB)
mscodex1697_wk1_body0383ref_web.jpg (77.0 KB)