Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 1698 A philosophical treatise of a somnambule upon God: man: & nature
TitleA philosophical treatise of a somnambule upon God: man: & nature
Other related names
- Rainsford, Charles, 1728-1809, former owner
- Northumberland, Hugh Percy, Duke of, 1742-1817, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1698
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 6293582
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Collection of treatises purported to be written in French by a young woman while in a state of somnambulation in the year 1786 and translated into English in Gibraltar in 1794 by a student of magnetism (v. 1, p. 36-37), most likely by Charles Rainsford. Sections include the definition of the Holy Trinity (v. 1, p. 1-36), discussion of mankind and nature (v. 1, p. 37-172), an overview of magnetism (v. 1, p. 173-218) and magnetic sleep (v. 1, p. 219-267; v. 2, p. 1-28), spiritual and natural magnetism and instructions on how to magnetize (v. 2, p. 29-71), a translation of a letter originally printed in French at Stockholm in 1787 that gives an explanation of animal magnetism and somnambulism (v. 2, p. 73-171), and extracts from the works of Emmanuel Swedenborg that explain animal magnetism and somnambulism (v. 2, p. 172-215). Also includes a list of contents for the first volume (v. 1, p. .
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (v. 1, p. 37).
Extent2 v. (138, 177 leaves) : 193 x 160 mm. bound to 203 x 165 mm
FoliationV. 1: Paper, 138 leaves; [iv], 1-241, [ii], 257, [ii], 258-267, ; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners from p. 1-36, and upper center from p. 37-267. Second set of contemporary pagination in ink, 1-213, upper outer corners. starting on p. 58 of first set of pagination. V. 2: Paper, 177 leaves; [ii], 1-215, [216-352]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.
- Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 616.1 and 616.2, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- Animal magnetism--Early works to 1800
- Sleepwalking--Early works to 1800
- Occultism--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1698: A philosophical treatise of a somnambule upon God: man: & nature are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Table of contents
- 215 (V.2) — Blank leaves start
Inside front cover (V.1)
5211_0001.tif (78.5 MB)
5211_0001_thumb.jpg (3.7 KB)
5211_0001_web.jpg (274.1 KB)
Inside back cover (V.1)
5211_0278.tif (78.5 MB)
5211_0278_thumb.jpg (3.5 KB)
5211_0278_web.jpg (271.8 KB)
Inside front cover (V.2)
5211_0283.tif (78.5 MB)
5211_0283_thumb.jpg (4.0 KB)
5211_0283_web.jpg (282.8 KB)
5211_0500.tif (78.5 MB)
5211_0500_thumb.jpg (3.3 KB)
5211_0500_web.jpg (269.5 KB)
Section: Blank leaves start
Inside back cover (V.2)
5211_0640.tif (78.5 MB)
5211_0640_thumb.jpg (3.3 KB)
5211_0640_web.jpg (250.9 KB)
mscodex1698_wk1_body0000ref.tif (82.1 MB)
mscodex1698_wk1_body0000ref_thumb.jpg (4.2 KB)
mscodex1698_wk1_body0000ref_web.jpg (255.9 KB)
mscodex1698_wk1_body0644_ref.tif (26.7 MB)
mscodex1698_wk1_body0644_ref_thumb.jpg (2.0 KB)
mscodex1698_wk1_body0644_ref_web.jpg (76.1 KB)