Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 1705 Chemical observations
Other related names
- Rainsford, Charles, 1728-1809, former owner
- Northumberland, Hugh Percy, Duke of, 1742-1817, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1705
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 6293590
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Written in England in the second half of the 18th century.
- between 1750 and 1799
Working notebook of alchemical notes, recipes, and processes by Charles Rainsford.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from upper cover.
Extent123 leaves : 159 x 98 mm. bound to 160 x 105 mm
FoliationPaper, 123 leaves; 2-124; contemporary foliation in ink, upper left verso. The recto of the first leaf is numbered 1 and the verso is numbered 2, with the foliation following consistently from that point to the end.
BindingContemporary leather with metal clasp.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.
- Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 622, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014n (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- Alchemy--Early works to 1800
- Occultism--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1705: Chemical observations are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
5224_0001.tif (48.7 MB)
5224_0001_thumb.jpg (5.0 KB)
5224_0001_web.jpg (308.7 KB)
mscodex1705_wk1_body0000ref.tif (57.4 MB)
mscodex1705_wk1_body0000ref_thumb.jpg (3.5 KB)
mscodex1705_wk1_body0000ref_web.jpg (212.9 KB)