Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI | |
Ms. Codex 1706 Final testament of Nicolas Flamel
TitleFinal testament of Nicolas Flamel
Other related names
- Rainsford, Charles, 1728-1809, former owner
- Northumberland, Hugh Percy, Duke of, 1742-1817, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1706
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 6293591
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageEnglish and French
- between 1750 and 1799
Copy of a French manuscript and an English translation purported to be the last will and testament of Nicolas Flamel originally written by him in 1414 (p. 1), but most likely composed in the 18th century. The introduction states that the manuscript from which it was copied was originally written backwards to make it more difficult to decipher (p. 1).
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent99 leaves : 175 x 111 mm. bound to 174 x 112 mm
FoliationPaper, 99 leaves; 46 manuscript leaves interleaved with 53 leaves of blotting paper; [1-92]; modern pagination in pencil, lower outer corners of manuscript leaves. Pages 71-92 are blank. Irregular contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners. All references in this record are to modern pagination.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.
- Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 623, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014.
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- Alchemy--Early works to 1800
- Occultism--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1706: Final testament of Nicolas Flamel are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
5334_0001.tif (41.1 MB)
5334_0001_thumb.jpg (3.9 KB)
5334_0001_web.jpg (258.2 KB)
mscodex1706_ref1.tif (173.1 MB)
mscodex1706_ref1_thumb.jpg (3.2 KB)
mscodex1706_ref1_web.jpg (169.9 KB)